Alan is a leading partner specialising in financing, acquisition & disposals and joint ventures for clients in the shipping and energy sectors. Acting for a wide range of corporate clients as well as financial institutions in the UK and internationally, Alan has particular experience of the MENA and Caspian markets.
After joining Henderson Boyd Jackson W.S. as a trainee, Alan became a Partner in 2005 and was closely involved with HBJ Gateley Wareing's move into London and establishment in Dubai, where he was based for two years. Returning to the UK in 2010, Alan led the firm's Energy practice for 5 years before becoming head of Banking and Finance. He also played a central role in the merger between HBJ Gateley and Addleshaw Goddard.
Having advised vessel owners and funders on a wide range of financing techniques involving the marine sector, Alan has many years' experience of complex, multijurisdictional transactions. These include bilateral and syndicated debt facilities, asset finance, Islamic finance and bond issues, many of which related to offshore vessels and fleets.
This experience has been relevant to other work Alan has done in the oil and gas sector. In particular, he has recently advised a number of institutional investors in connection with the refinancing of several oilfield services companies headquartered in Aberdeen.
Project financing of onshore wind farms and hydroelectric schemes have become an increasingly significant part of Alan's work since his return to the UK and he is also involved in developing areas such as floating offshore wind turbines, electric vehicles and battery storage.
Alan is qualified as a solicitor in England & Wales as well as Scotland and is a Notary Public.
- Advising Briggs Marine in connection with a group refinancing by The Royal Bank of Scotland and vessel specific finance by Lombard
- Advising a global marine and engineering business in connection with a successful US$350m high-yield bond issue
- Advising the purchaser in connection with a US$90m term loan facility for the acquisition of an oilfield services company in Qatar
- Advising sponsor in connection with the project financing of Edintore Wind Farm by Nord LB
- Advising River Generation in connection with the development of three run of river hydroelectric schemes in the Western Isles
"Alan Shanks regularly advises on joint ventures and energy finance, as well as asset sales and purchases. He is praised for his sensible and judicious approach to complex matters."
Chambers UK (2017)
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of Scotland
- Law Society of England and Wales
- University of Aberdeen, LLB Hons with options in French Law (1998)
- L'Universite Pierre Mendes France, Grenoble (Diplome de Droit Francais)
- Year qualified - 1998