Chris is a Partner in our Manchester Real Estate team. Chris specialises in Real Estate Disputes. He prides himself on providing practical and commercial solutions to Real Estate problems. His work covers all areas of Real Estate Disputes for landlords, tenants, developers and investors in areas such as business rates and their mitigation, development issues (such as restrictive covenants, rights to light etc), landlord and tenant issues (such as dilapidations, lease renewals, service charge disputes etc.). Chris also regularly advises banks and insolvency practitioners on insolvency related property disputes with a particular specialism in fraudulent transactions.
Chris has been involved in a number of recent reported cases including:
- Re Pinnacle (Angelgate) Limited  EWHC 141 (Ch) concerning the recovery of c.£30m of investors' funds in a failed residential development scheme
- Rossendale BC and Others v. Hurstwood Properties (A) Ltd and Others  EWCA Civ 364 (which is currently the subject of an appeal to the Supreme Court to be heard in October 2020) concerning business rates mitigation schemes
- The Secretary of State for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy –v- PAG Asset Preservation Limited  EWHC 2890 (Ch) (which is currently the subject of an appeal to the Court of Appeal to be heard in July 2020) concerning business rates mitigation schemes.
- Year Qualified
- University of Warick – LLB Hons 2002
- LPC Birmingham College of Law
- Professional Memberships
- Property Litigation Association
"Bright, hands-on, assiduous and not afraid of taking the big decisions in a case"
Legal 500 2018
"Delightful to work with. Very down to earth and can cut through complex legal issues in a very simple and strategic manner."