Paul is a partner in our Construction team. Prior to that role Paul was International Head of Construction and Engineering at DWF LLP.
Recognised as a leader in his field he specialises in risk management and strategic advice for large public sector bodies, contractors and developers.
Paul has over 20 years' experience of advising clients on procurement, contracts and disputes across a range of sectors. His focus over the last few years has been UK major infrastructure, office, leisure, education and residential projects.
Lead construction adviser for Bruntwood for over 15 years including advising on contentious and non-contentious matter most recently connection with the Manchester Science Park scheme, the development of the former BBC site on Oxford Road Manchester and the 400 acre Astra Zeneca site at Alderley Park.
- Acted as sole development and construction legal adviser for Liverpool John Moores University for 15 years advising them on a number of high value disputes, estate planning and campus development including, the construction or their faculties of Law, Art and Design and Engineering buildings.
- Advised National Museum Liverpool in respect of a series of major disputes arising from the construction of the National Museum Liverpool. Including representing the museum in a reported high court case against the architect for the building.
- Acted for Royal Liverpool Hospital Trust with regard to the problems it has been experiencing with the construction of the Royal Liverpool Hospital and the insolvency of Carillion Construction. More recently advising in relation to getting the project back on track with the appointment of a Construction Manager and Management Works Contracts.
- Advised a number of national student accommodation developers on accommodation schemes throughout the UK including most recently a 450 bed development in Stratford and Durham and the conversion of the listed Park Hill Housing Estate in Sheffield.
- Acted for a number of clients including British Waterways, a joint venture development company and a national museum in connection with the development of the Liverpool Waterfront World Heritage Site. This concerned the delivery of Mann Island a mixed use scheme incorporating covered public space complementing the adjoining Pier Head buildings, a major national museum and a new section of the Liverpool to Manchester canal and associated waterfront public realm.
- Acted for UK Coal in number of engineering disputes including a High Court litigation concerning alleged defective performance of a major coal washing plant
- Acting for a consortium of developers on the development of a major city centre residential / mixed use scheme known as St Michaels. Also advised Manchester City Council on the land deal for the same site.
- Defended DEFRA in a number of high value action relating to the foot and mouth outbreak.
- Advised West Midlands Combined Authority for many years on a variety of projects including the £1bn extension of metro and light rail network presently advising the Authority on a number of new railway stations.
- Acting for Manchester Council for many years on contentious and non-contentious matters including advising in respect of the extension of the Etihad Stadium, the construction of a racing stadium, a major sporting centre and health centre as well advising in respect of a number of housing schemes.
- Acted for Prysmian Group in respect of a series of disputes concerning the laying of offshore and onshore cables as part of a £1bn power project.
- Acted for a Korean Contractor in respect of a major International Chamber of Comments (ICC) arbitration arising out of the construction of a steel plant in the Middle East;
- Acted for Peel Holding and its subsidiaries in respect of a number of retail, leisure and hotel developments at the Trafford Centre and Speke including the construction the development of Liverpool John Lennon Airport and the construction of a tri-model in-land port and warehousing facility known as Port of Salford.