Matthew specialises in estate based social infrastructure transactions advising both private sector sponsors and public sector organisations, including wholly owned UK Government companies and NHS Trusts. Matthew's background is as a real estate lawyer and he has vast experience advising Infrastructure Funds, developers and managers of projects and portfolios across various sectors including health, social and extra care, education, housing and blue light. Matthew also advises senior lenders in relation to a range of social infrastructure projects. Matthew is particularly known for his expertise within the various health and social care sectors and is recognised as one of the leading primary and community health care advisers and has over recent years established himself as a leading legal adviser on large scale estate redevelopments and reorganisations.
Examples of transactions Matthew has advised on are:
- Matthew is the lead partner of the Addleshaws team advising Step Springfield Village Limited (a joint venture between Kajima Partnerships and Sir Robert McAlpine Capital Ventures) in relation to the multi-million pound redevelopment of the Springfield University Hospital in South West London for the South West London and St George's NHS Trust. The matter reached financial close in December 2019 and once complete will deliver two new mental health facilities on the site, along with over 830 new homes (approximately 300 of which will be in the listed old Victorian Hospital), a 64 bed care home, commercial units, open parkland and a new bespoke district heating system
- Matthew led the team acting for Fulcrum Infrastructure Group and the four LIFT (Local Improvement Finance Trusts) companies it invests in relation to a new facilities maintenance procurement and the creation of a new joint venture model of delivering FM services. On completion of the project a new facilities maintenance company was created between our client and specialist FM services provider ECG, designed to deliver FM services through a new 'alliance' model across a portfolio of 35 health centres.
- Matthew led the team advising Nord LB on the financing of a new £25 million community health care facility in Northern Ireland.
- Led the team advising a private sector consortium (Infrastructure Fund and bank) in relation to the multi million pound re-finance of a fire stations (9 sites) PFI project in England. The re-finance was delivered under extremely tight time frames, resulting in a substantial saving for the relevant fire authority and project company throughout the life time of the project
- Led the team advising the public private partnership that financed and developed and now maintains the new Finchley Memorial Hospital in North London. This multi million pound award winning development was procured through the NHS Lift programme and is one of the biggest projects delivered to date under that framework
- Year Qualified
- University of Leeds – 1989 -1992, LLB Law (hons).
"The leadership of Matthew Newing was exemplary, not only did he lead his own highly skilled team extremely effectively he also gave invaluable support to five other legal organisations."
Bruce Duncan, Estates Project Director for South West London and St George's NHS Trust