Matthew is a partner in our Infrastructure, Projects and Energy group, who specialises in estate based social and economic infrastructure transactions. Although Matthew predominantly advises private sector investors in and sponsors of projects he has also advised public sector participants including wholly owned UK Government companies and NHS Trusts. Matthew's background is as a real estate lawyer and he has vast experience advising Infrastructure Funds, developers and other investors and managers of projects and portfolios across various sectors including health, social and extra care, education, housing and blue light. Matthew is particularly known for his expertise within the various health sectors and is recognised as one of the leading primary and community health care advisers.
Examples of transactions Matthew has advised on are:
- Lead the team advising the public private partnership that financed and developed and now maintains the new Finchley Memorial Hospital in North London. This multi million pound award winning development was procured through the NHS Lift programme and is one of the biggest projects delivered to date under that framework
- Leading a team acting for a private sector consortium that has won a bid to deliver and then manage four new multi unit extra care facilities across Warwickshire. The project consists of the taking of long leases from the county council over four sites and then financing and developing new specialist accommodation on each site to provide long term accommodation for residents with specialist needs and requirements
- Lead the team advising a private sector consortium (Infrastructure Fund and bank) in relation to the multi million pound re-finance of a fire stations (9 sites) PFI project in England. The re-finance was delivered under extremely tight time frames, resulting in a substantial saving for the relevant fire authority and project company throughout the life time of the project
- Currently advising a consortium consisting of Kajima Partnerships and GB Partnerships in relation to several NHS Strategic Estates Partnership bids. Strategic Estate Partnerships are partnerships between NHS Trusts and a private sector partner, whereby both parties enter into a partnering arrangement for the private sector party to deliver all or most of the Trusts estate requirements over an agreed period (normally 10 years)
- Lead the team advising a public private partnership on the financing and development and on-going maintenance of a new joint services centre in South London. The multi million pound facility provides a leisure centre including a swimming pool, outdoor space and health centre. The facility was delivered in partnership with Lambeth Council.
- Year qualified: 1995
- Leeds University (1989 - 1992) - LLB Law (Hons) 2:1