Garrett is a corporate partner with over 20 years’ experience in transactions and restructurings, commercial and contractual matters and corporate advisory issues particularly in regulatory insurance.
Garrett’s applies his corporate and commercial experience across a range of clients and sectors including automotive, integrated IT solutions, offshore exploration and retail.
However his specialisation concentrates on non-contentious insurance supervision and regulation including the authorisation of insurance entities, the provision of cross-border services, compliance obligations, governance, new product development, policy wording and intermediary arrangements.
He has advised domestic and international insurance companies and intermediaries on the sale, purchase and/or absorption of businesses and the consolidation and restructuring of their existing operations. His insurance client base includes various life and non-life insurers, reinsurers and different types of intermediaries.
More recently, he has assisted clients bringing new products to market and/or using new, sometimes branded, distribution channels. The impact of recently enhanced consumer protection for insurance products has also resulted in a steady stream of instructions.
Recent Experience includes advising:
- The owners of Ireland’s then largest independent pensions advisor, Invesco Limited on a strategic majority investment by Irish Life, part of the Great West Lifeco.
- CACI Life DAC, part of Credit Agricole Group on the acquisition of the entire share capital of Finaref RD, a French non-life insurer, and the subsequent merger by absorption of Finaref RD by way of cross border merger
- An Irish motor insurer on the overhaul and review of all its policy documentation, primarily arising from the Consumer Insurance Contracts Act, 2019, including all output documentation (including quotation, inception and renewal), regulatory and market standard documentation and association template letters as part of an automation project whereby automation software was being introduced to their systems to simplify their interaction with customers.
- A branded motor distributor on it the drafting, negotiation and termination of various panel arrangements with its insurers.
- The MBO team in their acquisition of IT solutions, security and services leader, Triangle Computer Services.
- A high street retailer on its arrangements and obligations when introducing consumer credit and insurance branded in its own name.
"Garrett is an authority on insurance regulatory matters."
Legal 500 EMEA, 2023
“Garrett is professional, knowledgeable, responsive, thorough, insightful, creative, practical and pragmatic, a clear communicator both verbal and written, and last but not least, he is very personable…he stands out as a top performer on insurance matters…very solution orientated with excellent client service. He provides a very client focused approach, always providing prompt advice and looking to accommodate our requirements.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
“Garrett is excellent – he is professional, knowledgeable, responsive, thorough, insightful, creative, practical and pragmatic. He is a clear communicator, both verbally and in writing, and is personable.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
“Garrett adopts a pragmatic approach and is outcome oriented whilst understanding our objectives in respect of each individual matter we raise. It is reassuring and comforting that we can pick up a phone and speak with Garrett or any of his colleagues regarding any aspect of our cases.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
“Recommended as a leading regulatory insurance lawyer”
Marquis Who’s Who, 2020
“Garrett’s professionalism, knowledge, accessibility and pragmatism are key strengths…he is outcome oriented whilst understanding our objectives as a regulated entity. It is reassuring and comforting that we can pick up a phone and speak with Garrett or any of his colleagues.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
“Garrett Miller is ultra professional and is a technical expert in this area of the law…thorough and every response is well thought through…very pleasant to deal with and always approachable.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
“Garrett has excellent subject matter expertise”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2019
“Creative and insightful practice head Garrett Miller…is knowledgeable and experienced”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2018
- Professional Memberships
Member of the Dublin Solicitors Bar Association and the International Bar Association (IBA).
- Admitted as a solicitor in 2001
- B.A. (Mod) (1995) Trinity College Dublin