David is Head of IP/IT & Data Protection in Ireland. He advises a broad range of clients on all issues connected with protection and commercialisation of IP, technology and software arrangements, and data protection and privacy matters.
In the area of IP, David’s expertise covers trade marks, passing off and branding, copyright, design rights, patents, confidential information, trade secrets and know how.
In the field of IT, David has significant expertise on all aspects of e-commerce, internet law and software and technology matters. He regularly advises on issues including software development and licensing, SaaS arrangements, computer services and managed services agreements, IT integration projects, website terms, e-commerce arrangements, and maintenance, support and SLAs for IT systems.
David assists clients in the areas of data protection (GDPR) compliance and privacy. His advices cover matters including preparation and review of appropriate privacy notices, notification of security breaches to the DPC, assistance with Regulatory investigations; data processing arrangements, data transfer agreements and compliance with subject access requests. David frequently presents to clients on key issues in data protection law.
David is a Registered Trade Mark Agent, a member of the International Trademark Association (INTA) and the European Community Trademark Association (ECTA).
Recent Experience includes:
- Advising Johnson & Johnson Corporation and its subsidiaries in relation to all aspects of its Irish trade mark portfolio.
- Advising a leading international consumer retailer on enforcement action taken by the Irish Data Protection Commission in respect of its Irish online operations.
- Provision of a range of data protection advices to a paediatric medical research charity in respect of an investigation by the Irish Data Protection Commission and data sharing arrangements with other medical institutions.
- Advising a leading Irish meat processor on a major IT outsourcing and integration project.
- Assisting an Irish state body on procurement and contractual arrangements for provision of a new IT system.
Representative Clients include: Johnson & Johnson, Sky, Drumshanbo Gunpowder Gin, Harvey Norman, B Braun Medical, Belron, Dawn Farm Foods, JD Sports, Vantage Towers, Boodles.
“David leads the team, which frequently collaborates with the firm’s corporate team to handle matters.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
“I have known David Hackett for many years – especially for his IP work and he brings a positive, problem solving outlook whilst being a pleasure to deal with. He doesn’t make a drama out of a crisis and is good value for money in a market that is often very expensive.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
“David brings a positive, problem-solving outlook whilst being a pleasure to deal with. He has rounded enough experience that he can approach matters with creativity.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
“David is very easy to deal with and will get back very quickly.”
Chambers Europe, 2018
- Professional Memberships
Member of the Law Society of Ireland, the Dublin Solicitors Bar Association, the International Trademark Association (INTA) and the European Community Trademark Association (ECTA). David also sits on the legal working group of the Irish Internet Association (IIA). David is a Registered Trade Mark Agent.
- Diploma in Legal Studies, 1993, DIT Rathmines
- B.Comm. (Banking and Finance 1992), University College Dublin
- Admitted as a solicitor in 1997