Paul is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution Group and is Head of Commercial Debt & Asset Recovery in Ireland. Paul has an established commercial litigation practice which has been built up over his seventeen years with the firm.
Paul has a wide client base of both domestic and international clients and acts for a number of high profile multinational corporations and insurance companies in all aspects of commercial litigation to include product liability claims, professional negligence claims, contractual disputes, insurance claims, shareholder disputes and financial disputes.
He also has extensive experience advising and acting for a number of financial institutions in all areas of banking and financial disputes before the Irish Courts, such as enforcement actions, possession proceedings, injunctions and specific performance claims.
Paul also has considerable experience advising clients on alternative dispute resolution to include arbitration and mediation.
Recent Experience includes:
- Acting on an ongoing basis for a leading German vehicle manufacturer on all contentious issues before the Irish Courts to include defective product claims, personal injuries and fatal injuries claims.
- Acted for a global Insurance company in a large-scale multi-party product liability action arising out of hundreds of subrogated claims by homeowners for damage caused by defective infill materials (pyrite) used in the construction of their properties. The matter consisted of over 900 sets of High Court proceedings under case management of the High Court and was successfully settled to the client’s satisfaction following a multi-party mediation.
- Acting as lead partner for a number of loan funds, who acquired substantial loan portfolios from leading Irish Banks, on an ongoing basis in both prosecuting and defending a large volume of contentious litigation proceedings against commercial and individual borrowers before the Circuit Court, High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
- Acting for and successfully challenging the transfer of loans of circa €2.1billion held by Mr. Paddy McKillen’s group to the National Asset Management Agency.
- Acting for the minority shareholders of an oil distribution company in a shareholder dispute which was ultimately settled following a complex and protracted mediation.
"Paul is a very capable litigation attorney who I use for all of my Irish work. Very client focused and responsive."
Legal 500 EMEA, 2023
"Paul is a stand out partner. He is detailed orientated and solution based. An ability to resolve matters by way of compromise or through litigation...He is well versed in all elements of the superior courts and particularly commercial matters. He shows a real interest in all matters he is engaged in from first instruction to successful resolution."
Legal 500 EMEA, 2023
“Paul Dempsey: knowledgeable, speed of response, easy to talk with and very helpful and down to earth.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
“Paul Dempsey leads the debt recovery department.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
- Admitted as a Solicitor in 2008
- Bachelor of Arts Business Studies, Dublin Business School, 2000
- Professional Memberships
- Member of the Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- Member of the newly formed ARIAS Ireland Chapter of Arbitration Ireland
- Important procedural changes in civil litigation >
- Recent High Court judgments could help thousands of Irish debtors with long-term mortgage arrears >
- New superior court rules allow for remote witnessing of affidavits >
- Admissibility of business records in civil proceedings >
- The Civil Law and Criminal Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2020 - admissibility of business records in civil proceedings >
- Recent High Court judgment presents further obstacle for lenders and funds in enforcing security >
- Covid-19: Update on the deferral of enforcement actions by financial institutions >
- Supreme Court clarifies the information required before judgment is given in summary claims >