Jonathan is a partner specialising in procurement and commercial law.
Jonathan has been advising in this area for over 20 years, and has acted on a number of high-profile procurements for clients such as the Houses of Parliament, the Ministry of Defence, Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Trust, the Falkland Islands Government and the National Nuclear Laboratory.
Here is a representative selection of matters in which Jonathan has been involved:
- currently acting as the client partner on the Femern tunnel, a Euro 6 Bn,19km road and rail undersea tunnel between Denmark and Germany, one of Europe's largest civil engineering projects
- leading our team which won the very recent AEW v Basingstoke case on declarations of ineffectiveness
- part of the AG team advising the UK on the recently-signed West Coast/ HS2 rail franchise
- advising the Houses of Parliament on procurement aspects of their ongoing multi-billion pound refurbishment project
- leading the team advising the Falkland Islands Government on its new port project.
He is Client Partner in the Firm's relationships with Sainsbury's, Royal Mail and TKMaxx. Other clients include adidas, Diageo and Samworth Brothers.
- Jonathan is co-editor of the Government Procurement Review, now in its 8th Edition, a hardback guide to procurement laws around the world
- He is also co-author of the European Law of Commercial Agency, now in its third edition
- He has written numerous articles and e-alerts in procurement law topics, including "Procedures Involving Negotiation in the new Public Procurement Directive: Key Reforms" published in the Public Procurement Law Review.
- Professional Memberships
- Jonathan was the first Chair of and sits on the Executive Committee of the Procurement Lawyers Association and sits on the City of London Law Society's Commercial Law Committee.
Both Jonathan and Addleshaw Goddard are ranked in Band 1 by Chambers Directory 2020 for procurement law UK-wide, which says
Jonathan Davey is noted for his expertise in the competitive dialogue process, conflicts of interest and land development. He advises contractors and tenderers in the UK and overseas. Sources say: "He is very affable, and willing to listen and properly understand the issues facing the client."
The team are knowledgeable, astute and turn work around in an efficient and timely manner. They are also really nice people to work with.
Chambers' Directory 2020
Expertise Global Elite Thought Leader Jonathan Davey is a renowned public procurement specialist who is active in many of the largest cases in the UK. Commentators revere him for his “extensive knowledge and practical style”, and hail him as a “stalwart of procurement law” and the “grandfather of government procurement.”
Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders – Global Elite 2021