Natalie is a Legal Director in our Infrastructure, Projects and Energy Team. Natalie is a real estate lawyer by background specialising in estate based social infrastructure transactions. Natalie's experience extends across the lifetime of an infrastructure project, providing legal advice from inception to financial close and thereafter throughout the operational phase to expiry and beyond. Natalie advises across various sectors including health, social and extra care, education, blue light and housing. Natalie also manages portfolios for a number of acute PFI hospitals and primary and community health developments taken forward under PPP/PFI/third party developer contracts.
- Natalie led on the delivery of the £34 million Worthing Integrated Care Centre and Multi-Storey Car Park acting for the Developer. The Developer is working as development partner on behalf of the Local Authority to realise the Council's long-term aspiration to develop an under-utilised brownfield site, in the middle of Worthing, into a new state of the art integrated care centre (circa 6,400 m2) providing GP, mental health community, dentistry, children and pharmacy services under one roof. The development required the demolition of existing community facilities on part of the site, the provision of high-spec temporary accommodation to enable the continued provision of GP services on a secondary site throughout the construction phase, decant of existing services and construction of an adjacent 6,000 sqm multi-storey car park (serving both the ICC and the Civic Quarter) delivering circa 200 car parking spaces.
- Acting for the Developer, Natalie is leading on the delivery of a new 80 bed mental health facility in Mossley Hill, Liverpool, part of the Government's Dormitory Eradication Programme. This new health facility will provide single bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms promoting patient privacy and dignity. The facility will also include activity, visiting and multi-faith spaces with therapeutic lighting and safe garden areas.
- Natalie continues to act in relation to the South West London and St George's NHS Trust's Estate Modernisation Project at Springfield Hospital in South-West London. Acting for a joint venture partnership between Kajima Partnerships Limited and Sir Robert McAlpine Capital Ventures Limited in its capacity as master developer on this multi-phase, highly complex PPP development project. Phase 1 of the project included delivery of two new mental health hospitals, over 800 new homes, open parkland, retail units, enhanced estate infrastructure and a bespoke district heating network. Phase 1a delivered a new 54 bed care home for where AG advised on the finance, development, construction and property documents and arrangements, including a land swap and forward funding arrangements. Phase 2a concluded in early 2022 with the sale of a further 4 residential plots on the Springfield Site (253 units, circa 251,000 sqft), being a mixture of private and affordable housing units, generating further income enabling the Trust to commence work on Phase 2b. Contracts were exchanged in September 2022 on Phase 2b being the final phase of this ground-breaking project; the sale of these plots is conditional, subject to the buyer achieving satisfactory planning. Receipts from the sale of the phase 2b land will be utilised to redevelop the Trust's Tolworth Hospital.
- Natalie is part of the team, retained as lenders legal advisors, on the financing of the Velindre Cancer Centre in Cardiff, which will be delivered in 2023 under the Welsh Government's Mutual Investment Model.
- Natalie has been an expert panel member on a number of panels discussing emerging issues in the expiry of PPP Projects, including The Handback Summit 2022.
Natalie Barron is a well-regarded associate who primarily advises clients on operational, contract variation and procurement issues. Her focus is on transactions involving social infrastructure developments, particularly healthcare-related PFI matters.
"She is very responsive and provides advice that can be relied upon."
"Natalie Barron is a well-regarded associate who primarily advises clients on operational, contract variation and procurement issues. Her focus is on transactions involving social infrastructure developments, particularly healthcare-related PFI matters.
'She has a good balance between commerciality and legal context and delivers a high standard of documentation.'"
Partnership Bulletin: https://www.partnershipsbulletin.com/comment/health-check
Partnership Bulletin: https://www.partnershipsbulletin.com/comment/so-much-more-to-do
- Professional Memberships
- Fellow – Chartered Institute of Legal Executives