Daniel Breytenbach is an experienced construction disputes lawyer, based in our Dubai office. He has practiced in the MENA region since 2016.
Daniel is primarily occupied with complex, high profile arbitrations mainly concerning contentious construction, infrastructure, transport and energy matters involving tier one contractors, project employers and major property developers in the MENA region. His areas of expertise cover contract negotiation, project delivery and dispute resolution, including international arbitration and ADR.
- Acting for a Qatar state own entity in an ICC arbitration against a joint venture contractor in defence against claims to the value of QAR 3.8 billion in respect of a dispute relating to the design and construction of a major metro railway project in Qatar.
- Acting for an EPC Contractor against a Saudi owned state entity in a PCA arbitration for claims valued at SAR 880 million in respect of the engineering, procurement and construction of a gas turbine power plant in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Acting for a tier-one global construction Subcontractor in an ADCCAC arbitration against a multinational joint venture contractor in a AED 390 million dispute regarding structural steel works for a major airport development in Abu Dhabi.
- Advising a tier-one global construction Contractor in a DIFC-LCIA arbitration against a AED 130 million claim brought by a MEP subcontractor in relation to the construction of a residential building project located in Abu Dhabi.
- Advising a Contractor appointed for the design and construction of a military facility for an Abu Dhabi government entity in an ADCCAC arbitration in pursuit of claims to the value of AED 375 million.
- Acting for a master developer of a large real estate project area in Dubai in a DIAC arbitration for a AED 53 million claim against a sub-developer in relation to the construction of a mixed-use, high rise development.
- Advising an EPC Contractor responsible for constructing a terminal pumping station for a deep tunnel storm water system for the Dubai Expo area in relation to employer claims for delay damages and consequential damages resulting from flooding.
- Advising a Contractor responsible for the design, construction and maintenance of 260 villas in Jebel Ali, Dubai, in relation to employer claims for damages caused by water ingress.
- Advising an EPC Subcontractor in relation to a dispute regarding non-payment and a wrongful call on performance bonds by a contractor engaged in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representing a multinational GCC construction and infrastructure Contractor against a UAE based developer in relation to the construction of a high rise office tower in the DIFC and a wrongful call on a performance bond.
- Representing a UAE based EPC Contractor in a DIAC arbitration against a semi-government owned developer in a dispute concerning the procurement and construction of various lighted stages for attractions in a theme park in Dubai, UAE.
- Attorney admitted in High Court of South Africa
- University of Stellenbosch, LLB
- Professional Memberships
- Legal Practice Council of South Africa
- Society of Construction Law (Gulf)