Ed is Head of the Shipping team and is a leading shipping lawyer, specialising in ship sale and purchase, offshore commercial contracts and ship registration.
Ed has acted in the sale or purchase and registration of more than 300 vessels. With an international practice acting for ship owners, builders and banks, Ed has led negotiations and completions in over 20 countries and is a recognised expert in dual registration of ships in the Caspian Sea. He also routinely advises owners and charterers in relation to time and voyage charterparties and bareboat charter structures.
- Advised Caledonian Maritime Assets Limited in the £97 million purchase of two new build LNG passenger ferries
- Advised a Bermuda corporation in connection with a $80 million fleet renewal project for offshore support vessels built at shipyards in China
- Advised the purchaser of a $15 million platform support vessel from a Japanese shipping group in administration, including negotiations and settlement in Tokyo with two major creditor banks and other lien holders
- Advised a Dubai-based client advising upon the shipbuilding contract, pre-delivery securities, delivery and registration of a $42 million anchor handling vessel
- Advised a bank in relation to the repossession, re-registration and onwards sale of a €8 million super-yacht, including contested proceedings in London and the Cayman Islands
- Author of "Ship Registration: Law and Practice" (3rd edition, 2018) for Lloyd's Shipping Law Library
- New maritime law in Oman
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of Scotland
- Notary Public, Scotland – FCO accredited
- UK Chamber of Shipping
- Scottish Maritime Cluster
- Scottish Shipowners Benevolent Association
Legal 500 (2012), (2013), (2014), (2015), (2016)
"Extremely personable, good and hard-working."
Chambers UK (2014)
"Deep knowledge of the shipping industry… operates to the highest standard."
Legal 500 (2015)
"An excellent communicator who is particularly noted for his responsiveness and ability to turn things round quickly."
Chambers UK (2015)
"Smart, extremely accurate and attentive to client needs."
Chambers UK (2017) Leading Individual (Band 1)
"Hugely impressive …an incredible knowledge of maritime law"
Legal 500 (2019) Leading Individual
"very clearly a shining light in the sector …an astonishing capacity to make technical concepts readily understandable."
Chambers UK (2019) Leading Individual (Band 1)