Ed is Head of the Shipping team and is a leading shipping lawyer, specialising in ship sale and purchase, offshore commercial contracts and ship registration.
Ed has acted in the sale or purchase and registration of more than 200 vessels, and is a recognised expert in dual registration of ships in the Caspian Sea. With an international practice acting for ship owners, builders and banks, Ed has led negotiations and completions in over 20 countries.
- Advised Caledonian Maritime Assets Limited in the £97 million purchase of two newbuild LNG passenger ferries.
- Advised the purchaser of a $15 million platform support vessel from a Japanese shipping group in administration, including negotiations and settlement in Tokyo with two major creditor banks and other lien holders.
- Advised a bank in relation to the repossession, re-registration and onwards sale of a €8 million mega-yacht, including contested proceedings in London and the Cayman Islands.
- Advised a Dubai-based client advising upon the shipbuilding contract, pre-delivery securities, delivery and registration of a $42 million anchor handling vessel.
- Advised a Bermuda corporation upon a $80 million fleet renewal project for offshore support vessels built at shipyards in China.
Legal 500 (2012), (2013), (2014), (2015), (2016)
"Extremely personable, good and hard-working."
Chambers UK (2014)
"Deep knowledge of the shipping industry… operates to the highest standard."
Legal 500 (2015)
"An excellent communicator who is particularly noted for his responsiveness and ability to turn things round quickly."
Chambers UK (2015)
"Smart, extremely accurate and attentive to client needs."
Chambers UK (2017) Leading Individual (Band 1)
"Hugely impressive …an incredible knowledge of maritime law"
Legal 500 (2019) Leading Individual
"very clearly a shining light in the sector …an astonishing capacity to make technical concepts readily understandable."
Chambers UK (2019) Leading Individual (Band 1)
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of Scotland
- LLB (Hons), University of Edinburgh
- Diploma in Legal Practice, University of Edinburgh
- LLM (Merit), University of London
- Year qualified - 1999