James' broad corporate practice includes (domestic and international) mergers and acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures and private equity.
He has particular experience in advising clients in the retail and consumer sector and clients investing in Africa.
- Advised Sainsbury's on its joint venture with Voadafone to create the MobilebySainsbury's MVNO
- Advised Sainsbury's on its joint venture with Dansk Supermarked to re-introduce Netto to the UK market
- Advised Diageo on numerous transactions and joint ventures in East and Southern Africa
- Advised the shareholders of Go Outdoors on the £112m sale to JD Sports
- Advised the shareholders of MKM Building Supplies on the £200m sale to Bain Capital
- Advised William Jackson Food Group on the sale of its MyFresh salad division
- Advised Sainsbury's on its joint venture with Jonny Wilkinson to create the No1 Kombuhca brand
- Advised Sainsbury's on its £60m acquisition of the Nectar business
- Advised the shareholders of The Primal Pantry in relation to NVM Private Equity's investment
- Advised the shareholder of Pinpoint Design on its sale to Ingenuity Digital
- Advised the founders of mTag in relation to News Corp's investment
- Advised William Jackson Food Group on the acquisition of Wellocks
- Advised William Jackson Food Group on the £210m sale of Aunt Bessie's