Rachel is a Dispute Resolution Partner specialising in both commercial litigation and Reputation & Information Protection law.
In the area of commercial litigation, Rachel acts on an on-going basis on behalf of various companies and financial institutions before the High Court, to include the Commercial Division, dealing with actions for specific performance, enforcement, breach of contract and injunctions. Rachel also regularly represents clients at mediation and arbitration.
In media law, Rachel has significant expertise in defamation, privacy and also in providing pre-publication advice to clients. Rachel has also been involved in several high profile media related cases to include successfully defending a client in respect of the first injunction brought under Section 33 of the Defamation Act 2009.
Rachel has expertise in reputation management acting for corporate clients in addressing issues arising from social media, disaffected employees, unhappy customers, competitors, regulatory investigations, pressure groups or sensitive litigation.
Recent Experience includes advising:
- Broadcaster: investigation by ComReg and the matter was successfully resolved
- National Broadcaster: in respect of several defamation proceedings brought by a presidential candidate
- Top Four Accountancy Firm: in respect of a number of matters to include regulatory investigations and eDiscovery projects
- NAMA: in respect of several significant enforcement cases, judicial review and also a long running arbitration with a national retailer
“Rachel is very good commercially and gives good strategic advice…extremely responsive, client-focused, solution-driven and strategic and commercial in their advices.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
“Rachel is a brilliant lawyer and a really shrewd advisor.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
“Rachel has depth of knowledge allied to practical application.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
“Rachel is recognised as a leading individual”
Chambers Europe, 2018
“The very capable and driven Rachel Shanley”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2018
- Rachel has contributed to a number of articles on commercial litigation and media law. Rachel has also made presentations in the Law Society of Ireland on the topic of arbitration.
- Covid-19: The Irish Courts Response >
- Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland in 2002.
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2003.
- BA 1997, University College Dublin.
- Professional Memberships
- Member of the Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- Member of the Commercial Litigation Association of Ireland