Alexander Schmid is a partner in the Global Investigations practice group.
He advises and defends companies as well as individuals in the field of commercial and tax criminal law, supports companies in the investigation, detection and prosecution of irregularities (Internal Investigations) and advises them preventively on the implementation and auditing of compliance management systems (Corporate Prevention and Criminal Compliance). In addition, he regularly acts as witness counsel in major white-collar criminal proceedings.
He has extensive experience in representing companies in investigations and audits by customs and tax authorities as well as in litigation against the recovery of taxes and customs duties.
Alexander Schmid also regularly advises on investigations by the German Financial Supervisory Authority BaFin, in particular special audits pursuant to section 44 of the German Banking Act KWG.
Finally, he specialises in advising and defending companies and individuals in all matters of labour criminal law.
His recent work covered:
- internal investigation re potential evasion of excise duties, litigation against the reclaim of taxes and defence against administrative fines by German customs
- internal investigations re potential evasion of customs duties, e.g. anti-dumping duties
- several internal investigations into potential or alleged social contributions fraud, illegal temporary agency work and illegal employment of foreigners, including defense of corporations or management in the case of criminal proceedings
- internal investigations in several German banks re fraud and embezzlement by former employees and/or management, including the cooperation with insurance companies and authorities against former employees and/or management
- advice re the winding down of an unlawful business of a German Fintech according to banking supervision authority BaFin restrictions and defense of the Fintech against administrative fines by the public prosecutor’s office
- various internal investigations re allegations of sexual offences in the workplace
- several criminal defenses of managing directors or other executives against alleged tax evasion, fraud and embezzlement
- University of Munich
LG Bochum: Keine Beschlagnahmefreiheit für Compliance-Ombudspersonen, NZWiSt 2016, 401 ff. (gemeinsam mit Dr. Lenard Wengenroth)
- German bar association
- WisteV – Wirtschaftsstrafrechtliche Vereinigung
Regular client trainings on criminal compliance and anti-corruption
- Year Qualified
Admitted to the German bar in January 2014