Alexander is an Infrastructure Projects and Energy partner based in our Dubai office. Alexander advises sovereigns, utilities, financial institutions, industry, regional and international development banks, specialised funds, sponsors and project developers on transactional, corporate and regulatory matters. His expertise spans across a wide range of sectors including energy, oil and gas, infrastructure projects, project finance as well as trade related matters with a focus on emerging markets and Africa.
Alexander is a German-trained and qualified lawyer (Rechtsanwalt), admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales, and has a Masters in Law in International and European Business Law (summa cum laude). Alexander is a member of the Advisory Council of the US Government’s Millennium Challenge Corporation since October 2016 and is an advisor to the Dii – Desertec renewable energy initiative North Africa and Middle East.
Prior to joining Addleshaw Goddard, Alexander headed the Africa and Middle East energy and infrastructure practice for US-headquartered international law firm and prior to that was responsible for the East Africa business of one of the world's largest international law firms. Alexander lived in Germany, the US, The UK, Tanzania and the U.A.E (Dubai).
- Advised the Ministry of Infrastructure Development in the UAE on the first federally procured PPP. Alexander worked alongside a team of engineers and financial advisors to review the energy efficiency of the federal street lighting across 23 federal roads connecting the 5 northern emirates in the UAE, as well as to provide advice to the Ministry in procuring a new contractor to upgrade, retrofit, operate and maintain the federal street lighting, through a PPP structure.
- Advised a consortium of international and national developers in relation to their bid for the development of a large scale water desalination plant in Saudi Arabia. Work included review of all applicable PPP laws, all project agreements, liaison with banks and financial advisors to structure the financing options for the consortium as well as marking up of all relevant project related documents and negotiations.
- Advised a client in relation to its investment into a greenfield PPP school project and several acquisitions of an existing school business in Egypt (multiple existing facilities). The work included the review of the joint venture arrangement with an international school operator and the long term operating agreement as well as the arrangements with local government and municipality.
- Advising, together with a team of technical, financial and local consultants the Government of Armenia and EBRD on the design and implementation of a competitive procurement process for a 150MW in solar PV projects on multiple sites clustered as one project in Armenia.
- Advised a US-based investor that develops and manages power assets in emerging markets, including the MENA region, in relation to a 110 MW solar power project Tanzania and a 75 MW solar power project in Djibouti. The work included the structuring of the transaction, advising and negotiating the PPA with the state utility company, managing local counsel in relation to regulatory approvals (obtaining the generation licence, business licence, and others) as well as land-related issues and bankability/financing advice in an international project financing context.
- Advising CEB, the state utility company in Mauritius on the 75-90 MW Alteo Biomass / Bagasse power project. The work included leading the legal, technical and financial advisory team appointed to advise the state utility company to develop the project as an IPP.
- Advised Public Authority for Housing Welfare of Kuwait on the structuring and implementation of commercial real estate developments as PPP projects. The legal advice included the assessment of the legal and regulatory framework for the PPP projects in Kuwait, PPP model recommendations in conjunction with the technical and financial advisors, and the preparation of tender documents to arrange and oversee a public tender for interested investors to develop the PPP project.
- Advised the Government of Gambia on the design and implementation of a competitive oil and gas licensing round (The Gambia 2018/19 Petroleum Licensing Round). Work included leading the team of technical and financial advisors analysing the regulatory framework for oil and gas upstream activities in Gambia, reviewing and updating existing licensing agreements to ensure compliance with international standards and to protect the interests of Gambia in relation to open blocks and developing a bidding and licensing process that ensures the best use of limited resources of the Government in relation to open blocks
- Advising as lead counsel the international consortium of Fauji Fertilizer (Pakistan), and Holdor Topsoe (Denmark) on a US$ 2.0 billion ammonia/urea fertilizer plant in Tanzania on all matters related to the project, including structuring the project from a legal point of view with a particular focus on identifying key project hurdles in a country such as Tanzania. The work also includes drafting and negotiating the joint venture agreement with the national oil and gas company (TPDC), drafting and negotiating the EPC and O&M contracts, the gas supply arrangements, local and regulatory law issues (from permitting to concessions), and the financing of the project.
- Advised the sponsors, on a US$200 million oil and gas supply base and adjunct commercial port facility in Eastern Africa. The work included the drafting of the concession agreement and related negotiations with the national ports authority, the shareholders and subscription agreements, and the project-financing
- Advised the Government of Tanzania on a USD 10 billion Bagamoyo Port and Portside Industrial Zone project. The large scale PPP project related work included structuring advice, drafting the JV arrangements, concessions and financing documents, and capacity-building activities and training at local level.
- Advised a leading pan-African commodities trading business in the corporate restructuring of its fertilizer business and in negotiations with potential investors for the fertilizer business line. The work included the corporate structuring, advice in relation to joint venture negotiations, as well as the transfer of assets and businesses in 14 countries including Benin, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tanzania, and Zambia with the corporate headquarter being established in Dubai.
- Advised a pan-African agro commodities business, a European-listed company, and an international development bank, in establishing an African-based business for the procurement of agricultural raw materials and the development of processing plants for infant supplemental foods in Rwanda, Ethiopia, and other African countries. The work involved all aspects of the structuring and development of a Dubai-based joint venture between the parties, including the structuring and drafting of the JV and shareholders' agreement, drafting and negotiating JV agreements with host governments, the EPC and service agreements for the plants.
- Advising the sponsor of a 250 MW gas fired power station located in Mozambique on all legal and structuring aspects of the project. The sponsor won a public tender to build own and operate the project and to offtake gas and produce electricity in Mozambique. The work includes structuring of the project, drafting and negotiating the project documents (including the power purchase agreement with the state utility company) as well as all project and project-financing related activities.
Alexander advises 'African Governments on oil and gas, renewable energy and transport projects and is equally adept at advising bidders and developers.' He possesses notable experience in PPA negotiations and regulatory matters. Sources praise him as 'he is truly excellent and goes above and beyond.' and “A really good technical lawyer” Chambers 2018/19
Dubai-based Alexander Sarac frequently acts for governments on energy, infrastructure and oil and gas projects. One client stated: "Alex works flat-out for his clients. His strengths are his logical reasoning, confidence, strategy, patience and passion." Chambers 2019/2020
- German Bar Association, State of Baden-Wuertemberg (Rechtsanwaltskammer Karlsruhe) - Registered as a member of the German Bar Association (mandatory registration to practice law in Germany)
- Solicitor (England and Wales)
- Legal Consultant – The Government of Dubai Legal Affairs Department
- Millennium Challenge Corporation - Member of the Advisory Council of the Millennium Challenge Corporation (Advisory Council was first established in October 2016; appointed to the inaugural Advisory Council) 10/2016 – ongoing
- Dii – Desertec renewable energy initiative North Africa and Middle East 2019 - ongoing
- Climate Markets and Investors Association (CMIA) - Elected board member of this industry association 12/2009 – 05/2014
- Practicallaw.com - Appointed member of the Consultation Board (Environment) 2012 – 06/2016
- German Emissions Trading Association (BVEK) - Board member and later Chairman of the Board 09/2007 – 05/2012