Ranked as a Leading Individual by both the Legal 500 and Chambers 2020, James is specialist construction and engineering partner with over 20 years' experience of advising on complex construction, development, regeneration, energy, utilities, process, mechanical and civil engineering projects.
James' clients include both major private companies and also central and local government. His industry experience includes working on secondment with a major UK engineering company, advising on the UK nuclear new build programme.
James is head of the firm's Real Estate division in Leeds, head of our UK Nuclear practice and co-head of our Advanced Manufacturing Group.
James' experience includes:
- Advising UK Parliament on the £5.7bn refurbishment of the Palace of Westminster and the £650m Northern Estate Programme.
- Acting for Muse Developments in relation to complex commercial and residential projects (including PRS and BTR).
- Advising Peel Group in relation to the £750m+ development of Mediacity UK (the home in the north of the BBC).
- Advising Hungate (York) Regeneration on its £130m regeneration of the Hungate area of York, delivering 1,000 homes as well as commercial and community space.
- Advising British Telecommunications on the construction aspects of its move to new Headquarters at One Braham, London and on its large scale Better Workplace Programme.
- Advising a major aero engine business in connection with the construction of new-build manufacturing facilities.
- Advising on the upgrade of manufacturing facilities for the UK submarines programme.
- Advising on engineering and construction works at the Sellafield nuclear site.
- Acting for Energy Works Hull/C Spencer on the development of a 250ktpa waste treatment plant, using fluidised bed gasification technology together with pre-treatment and AD processing.
- Advising on process engineering contracts for ABF's Wissington and Newark Sugar Refineries, as well as engineering and construction projects in China, Thailand and Spain.
- Advising British Gas on EPC contracts for innovative gas to grid projects.
- Acting for United Utilities in relation to numerous projects, including its joint venture with Costain for the £300m Brighton & Hove WWTW project.
- Professional Memberships
- The Law Society of England and Wales