Ryan is a Legal Director in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice, based in the Aberdeen office.
With more than ten years of experience practising in Aberdeen, Ryan has developed considerable expertise in dealing with complex commercial and contractual disputes with a particular focus in the energy, shipping and real estate sectors. Ryan has notable experience dealing with cross-border and multi-jurisdictional matters.
Ryan regularly provides advice to clients on key contractual issues including contractual interpretation, breach of contract, warranties and indemnities, termination and quantification of loss.
Ryan also routinely acts in shareholder/director disputes and in professional negligence claims concerning the services of legal professionals, architects and surveyors.
Ryan has experience dealing with proceedings in the English and Scottish courts as well as domestic and international arbitrations.
Ryan is adept at utilising mediation (and other forms of alternative dispute resolution) and technology to achieve positive commercial outcomes for his clients.
- Acting for a middle-east headquartered drilling contractor in an international arbitration concerning claims arising out of the use of its rig in US waters.
- Acting for a provider of well-engineering and project management services in respect of multi-million US dollar claims and cross-claims in an LCIA Arbitration.
- Acting in an LCIA Arbitration in a dispute concerning the shareholding of an electricity supply company.
- Defending a PLC against multi-million-pound claims founded on allegations of breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation (pertaining to cleaning and survey work done on an FPSO).
- Acting in three inter-linked Scottish court actions relating to a client's financial interest in a vessel, involving complex multi-million-pound claims and cross-claims.
- Providing urgent strategic advice on the remedies available in relation to breaches of Sole Risk provisions of a Joint Operating Agreement.
- Advising a US based client in connection with high value disputes concerning the interpretation of provisions of a Decommissioning Security Agreement.
- Providing urgent advice and representation to a steel supply company in light of manufacturing delays in China (consequent to the Covid-19 outbreak) and the implications for a wind-farm development project.
- Representing an individual in the defence of a circa £17million claim relating to alleged breaches of SPA warranties.
- Law Society of Scotland
- Aberdeen Bar Association
- Society of Advocates (Aberdeen)