Steven is an energy specialist real estate lawyer with over 10 years’ experience advising developers, investors and occupiers on projects with a particular focus on renewable energy. He previously worked as in-house counsel for one of the world’s largest independent renewable energy companies, Renewable Energy Systems (RES).
Steven regularly advises on the real estate aspects of renewable energy projects across a breadth of technologies: including wind, solar, hydro and battery storage. He advises clients at all stages in the project lifecycle; from site origination, through the development phase and onto financial close. Steven also frequently provides real estate support to major transactional projects, including financings and secondary market acquisitions/disposals.
Steven is qualified in Scotland.
Recent experience includes:
- Advising Peel Energy on their sale of 2 consented onshore wind projects in Shetland (127MW combined). Steven was also lead legal advisor during the development phase, advising on all option to lease agreements and title due diligence. This included successfully obtaining an order from the Scottish Land Court in relation to the crofting status of one of the projects.
- Lead real estate advisor for the UK subsidiary company of a German stock-exchange listed renewables developer in respect of their sale of a consented 7 turbine onshore wind project in North Lanarkshire to a global hydrogen developer.
- Acting for project landowners, lead real estate advisor in relation to a 400MW battery storage facility to be constructed in the Scottish Borders.
- Lead advisor to a UK-based renewables developer and operator specialising in large-scale private wire and offsite projects (onshore wind and solar). Steven provided strategic real estate and regulatory advice in respect of their portfolio of development and operational-phase projects.
- Lead advisor to the UK subsidiary company of a German stock-exchange listed company in respect of all development aspects for their consented 9 turbine, 49.9MW onshore wind scheme to be constructed in the Scottish Highlands. This involved extensive negotiation of off-site access rights with over 10 landowners, multi-developer co-operation agreements and advising in relation to community ownership.
- Conducting due diligence on behalf of a state-owned electricity company relating to their acquisition of a 50% stake in a joint venture project company with rights to develop and construct a 36 turbine consented onshore wind farm located in the Outer Hebrides. Steven was lead real estate advisor which included advising on the project leases, title and a radar mitigation agreement with a statutory undertaker.
- University of Glasgow – LLB (Hons) 2005-2009
- University of Strathclyde – Dip LP 2010