Bevan Farmer has a track record of elite infrastructure and transport work in the UAE and beyond.
An excellent partner to lead and manage large complex cases: prodigious work rate, huge attention to detail, but always an eye on the big commercial picture. Very mindful of the needs of in house counsel and clients with regard to budget, process and timescales.
Bevan Farmer is an experienced construction and projects partner, based in our Dubai office. He has practiced in the MENA region since 2011.
Bevan advises government bodies, sponsors, funders, developers, employers, operators, contractors, sub-contractors and professional teams across a spectrum of sectors, including transport, infrastructure, energy and utilities, healthcare, and real estate. His areas of expertise cover contract negotiation, project delivery and dispute resolution, including international arbitration, litigation and all forms of ADR.
He is familiar with all international standard forms of construction contract including FIDIC, ICE, NEC and JCT and several of the bespoke forms used by government and quasi-government companies in the Middle East.
- Advising one of the world's leading consultants on two multi-million dollar claims arising out of a major transport infrastructure project in Qatar
- Acting for a contractor in a DIAC arbitration for an AED 2.8 billion claim against a developer. The project concerned the construction of a large sports and leisure facility in Dubai
- Advising an EPC Contractor against the Project Co. and OPWP in relation to claims arising from the construction of a desalination plant in Oman
- Advising a Qatar state owned entity in respect of the termination of a main contractor's appointment for the construction of a significant infrastructure project in Qatar
- Acting for a sub-contractor carrying out a major works package on the Safaniya Oil Expansion Project, KSA in pursuit of its claims against the contractor
- Advising the contractor of the Ras Issa Oil Terminal Project, Yemen during the delivery of the project, including advising on risk management and claims preparation strategies
- Advising a Project Co. responsible for the procurement and operation of a desalination plant in Oman in relation to claims against OPWP and claims against and counterclaims from the EPC Contractor
- Advising a Dubai government entity as Respondent to an AED multi-billion DIAC arbitration claim. The project concerned the extension of a large transport infrastructure development in Dubai
- Advising a contractor in a QICCA arbitration against a developer for claims and counterclaims in excess of QAR 1bn in relation to a commercial and residential complex
- Representing an international contractor in a multi-million dollar dispute under a FIDIC contract concerning a transport infrastructure project in East Africa. The dispute proceeded through an ICC arbitration
- Acting for a contractor in pursuit of claims of approximately AED 900 million against a major developer. The claims arose over 7 different contracts including roads, subterranean and sub-sea tunnels, bridges and high and low rise tower projects
- Advising an international contractor in a DAB relating to disputes arising from a major infrastructure project in East Africa. The sums in dispute totalled in excess of US$130 million
- Acting in a UAE court administered arbitration with ad-hoc rules for a joint venture responding to claims by a subcontractor. The project concerned one of the tallest commercial structures in Dubai
- Representing a joint venture responding to claims by a subcontractor in a DIAC arbitration. The project concerned a 68 storey skyscraper
- Representing a Dubai free zone development and licensing authority as Respondent to an AED 200 million DIAC arbitration claim. The project involved the construction of 23 separate structures
- Representing a developer as respondent to a conciliation process administered by the Centre for Amicable Settlement of Disputes. The Project was for a 90 storey residential use building in Dubai
- Advising the JV contractor on the drafting and negotiation of the main contract for the Zauliyah Gas Plant Project, Oman
- Advising the developer in relation to contract terms for a mall expansion project in Abu Dhabi
- Advising the owner on the procurement, construction and management contracts in relation to a new 5* hotel in Dubai
- Negotiation and drafting of construction documentation, including building contracts (using traditional, D&B, construction management and management contracting procurement methods), consultants' appointments, novation agreements and collateral warranties
- Advising corporate entities on due diligence as part of acquisitions of construction companies
- Professional qualifications
- Solicitor admitted in England and Wales
Bevan Farmer is described by sources as "very capable" and "well respected." An experienced disputes practitioner, he frequently assists clients with large-scale construction and engineering matters throughout the Middle East.
The 'outstanding' Bevan Farmer ('a gifted lawyer with great commercial sense who can't do enough for his clients') handle disputes ranging from subcontractor matters on major infrastructure projects to large towers disputes involving main contractors. Clients include British, GCC and Spanish contractors.
- Professional Memberships
- Society of Construction Law (Gulf)