Fraser has experience in acting on a broad range of M&A and other corporate transactions including auction processes, joint ventures, secondary buy-outs, co-investments, consortium arrangements, restructurings, convertible loan issues and trade sales. During his career, in both Europe and the Middle East, he has represented leading private equity institutions, well-known multinationals and ‘best-in-class’ regional corporates in highly-publicized and market-leading transactions. Fraser combines a deep knowledge of M&A ‘international best-practice’ with experience gained during his time in the MENA region as regards local jurisdictions.
Uniquely amongst his peers, Fraser is a CFA® charterholder, obtaining his qualification from the CFA Institute after passing all three CFA Program examinations in three consecutive years. The CFA designation is globally recognized and attests to a charterholder’s success in a rigorous and comprehensive study program in the field of investment management and research analysis.
Fraser is ranked by Chambers Global 2021 as a leading lawyer for United Arab Emirates: Corporate/M&A. He is described in the latest edition as ‘adept at M&A and private equity transactions. He is especially well versed in cross-border acquisitions, most significantly those taking place in the healthcare and food and beverage industries, while also possessing notable experience acting for sovereign wealth funds’. He is also recommended for United Arab Emirates: Commercial, Corporate and M&A by Legal 500 EMEA 2021. In addition, he was included in the United Arab Emirates: Commended External Counsel of the Year 2020 by In-House Community.
Prior to joining Addleshaw Goddard, Fraser was with magic circle firm, Allen & Overy, where he was based in both their Dubai and London offices. During his time with A&O, Fraser was involved in drafting cutting-edge precedent documents for use in private equity transactions and was also responsible for know-how relating to the application of local law in the context of corporate transactions in the MENA region. He first moved to the UAE in 2007 and has over 15 years’ experience of advising on M&A/Private Equity transactions.
Fraser earned his Diploma in Legal Services in 2002, and his Bachelor of Laws (LL.B. (Hons.)) in 2001 both from the University of Edinburgh. He is also a member of the Scottish Law Society.
- Advising Jadwa on the sale of UEMS, a UAE based healthcare business, to Mubadala Healthcare.
- Advising Gulf Capital on the sale of Metamed, an Egyptian/Jordanian/Saudi based medical imaging business to a consortium led by Mediterrania Capital Partners.
- Advising the Public Investment Fund of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in relation to the establishment of a new worldwide elite sports series.
- Advising Americana on their joint venture with REEF technologies, a leading international cloud kitchen operator.
- Acting for the Varkey Group in relation to CVC’s investment in GEMS Education, a UAE based international education company.
- The University of Edinburgh - LLB(Hons) – 2001
- The University of Edinburgh – Diploma in Legal Practice - 2002
- Professional Memberships
- Member of the Law Society of Scotland
- CFA® charterholder, CFA Institute