Acknowledged by the legal directories as a leading individual in the field, he has 25 years' experience advising on complex finance, investment and insurance disputes and contentious regulatory matters acting for a wide range of banks, asset managers, hedge funds and pension trustees in domestic and cross-border cases. Richard has advised on cases involving a broad range of financial structures, types of lending and products, including derivatives, structured finance and trade finance. In the insurance context he has particular experience of coverage disputes. Richard also has significant in-house litigation and investigations' experience having completed three separate litigation secondments with Barclays Bank. Richard was previously with Simmons & Simmons and TLT LLP's finance and insurance litigation teams.
Richard's recent experience includes:
- advising the trustees of a major plc’s pension fund on claims against its investment managers arising out of the under-performance of parts of a complex Liability Driven Investment structure
- advising a hedge fund on an ISDA share variance swap settlement dispute
- advising a US hedge fund on a dispute with an investment bank counterparty relating to the settlement of various sovereign bond trades
- advising a major UK clearer on high-profile litigation arising from the collapse of the major US law firm Dewey & LeBoeuf and the recovery of loans totalling $56 million in the UK and in a number of foreign jurisdictions
- advising major UK clearers in relation to the mis-sale of interest rate hedging products and reviews by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
- Law Society qualification date: 1995
- The College of Law (now The University of Law), Guildford - Law Society Finals (1993)
- London School of Economics and Political Science - Government and History Bsc (Econ)
"… a great tactical thinker who is always able to achieve outstanding results for his clients"
" … [his] wealth of experience and knowledge means that clients see a successful resolution of disputes. His great tactical awareness means that opponents are at risk of being outflanked"
Legal 500 (2020)
"a highly skilled strategist"
"a brilliant problem solver with finely honed litigation skills who achieves very successful outcomes"
Legal 500 (2019)