Richard joined the Finance and Insurance Litigation Groups at AG in 2014. He has over 22 years' experience advising on complex finance, investment and insurance disputes and contentious regulatory matters acting for a wide range of banks, asset managers, hedge funds and pension trustees in domestic and cross-border cases. Richard has advised on cases involving a broad range of financial structures, types of lending and products, including derivatives, structured finance and trade finance. In the insurance context he has particular experience of coverage disputes. Richard also has significant in-house litigation and investigations' experience having completed three separate secondments with Barclays Bank. Richard was previously with Simmons & Simmons and TLT LLP's finance and insurance litigation teams.
- A major UK clearer on high-profile litigation arising from the collapse of the major US law firm Dewey & LeBoeuf and the recovery of loans totalling $56 million in the UK and in a number of foreign jurisdictions
- Major UK clearers in relation to the mis-sale of interest rate hedging products and reviews by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
- A number of major Indian banks in relation to claims relating to multi-million dollar, multi- jurisdictional demand guarantees, trade finance transactions and substantial syndicated lending
- A major international bank in relation to a substantial trade finance transaction and a dispute about the scope of the "fraud exemption"
- The trustees of a major plc’s pension fund on claims against its investment managers arising out of the under-performance of parts of a complex Liability Driven Investment structure
- US hedge funds on disputes relating to the early termination and close out of an ISDA-governed share variance dispersion swap and the settlement of various sovereign bond trades
- Banks, individuals and hedge funds in relation to investigations and enforcement action carried out by regulators and quasi government bodies, including the FCA, in the UK and internationally
- A major UK bank on the application of the aggregation clause in its professional indemnity policy to over 25,000 pension mis-sales
- A Canadian nuclear power plant designer on an ad hoc arbitration claim against its insurers relating to the construction of a power station in South Korea
- Law Society qualification date: 1995
- The College of Law (now The University of Law), Guildford - Law Society Finals (1993)
- London School of Economics and Political Science - Government and History Bsc (Econ)