Acknowledged by the legal directories as a leading individual in the field, he has 25 years' experience advising on complex finance, investment and insurance disputes and contentious regulatory matters acting for a wide range of banks, asset managers, hedge funds and pension trustees in domestic and cross-border cases. Richard has advised on cases involving a broad range of financial structures, types of lending and products, including derivatives, structured finance and trade finance. In the insurance context he has particular experience of coverage disputes. Richard also has significant in-house litigation and investigations' experience having completed three separate litigation secondments with Barclays Bank. Richard was previously with Simmons & Simmons and TLT LLP's finance and insurance litigation teams.
Richard's recent experience includes:
- advising the trustees of a major plc’s pension fund on claims against its investment managers arising out of the under-performance of parts of a complex Liability Driven Investment structure
- advising a major UK clearer on high-profile litigation arising from the collapse of the major US law firm Dewey & LeBoeuf and the recovery of loans totalling $56 million in the UK and in a number of foreign jurisdictions
- advising a facility agent and issuer servicer in a securitisation about its potential liabilities under a side loan and related litigation
- advising alternative credit providers in relation to FOS decision making, FOS complaints and the prospects for judicial review
- advising the FSCS in relation to a number of large potential recovery cases involving unregulated collective investment schemes and illiquid funds
"… a great tactical thinker who is always able to achieve outstanding results for his clients"
" … [his] wealth of experience and knowledge means that clients see a successful resolution of disputes. His great tactical awareness means that opponents are at risk of being outflanked"
Legal 500 (2020)
"a highly skilled strategist"
"a brilliant problem solver with finely honed litigation skills who achieves very successful outcomes"
Legal 500 (2019)