Acknowledged by the legal directories as a leading individual in the field, Richard heads up our Finance Disputes practice nationally. He has 25 years' experience advising on complex finance, investment, fraud and insurance disputes and contentious regulatory matters acting for a wide range of banks, asset managers, hedge funds, and high net worth individuals in a broad range of domestic and international cases. Richard has advised on cases involving a range of financial structures, types of lending and products, including derivatives, structured finance and trade finance. In the insurance context he has particular experience of coverage disputes. Richard also has significant in-house litigation and investigations' experience having completed three separate litigation secondments with Barclays Bank.
Richard's recent experience includes:
- advising an Indian multi-national mining and aviation conglomerate in relation to proceedings in the English Commercial Court brought by a consortium of state owned Indian banks arising out of lending of USD 1.5 billion secured on assets in India and Australia;
- advising a major Portuguese bank in connection with claims of fraud by a state owned Venezuelan oil and gas producer against a contractor which allegedly invalidated demands made under a Standby Letter of Credit for over USD 130 million. The proceedings were ultimately determined by the Court of Appeal;
- advising a major UK clearer on high-profile litigation arising from the collapse of the major international US law firm Dewey & LeBoeuf and the recovery of loans totalling $56 million. The case involved advice on multiple jurisdiction issues and challenges in light of attempts by borrowers to launch pre-emptive and/or parallel proceedings in a number of foreign jurisdictions, including New York, New Jersey, California, South Africa, Italy, and Germany;
- advising a major international bank in connection with claims made by a liquidator arising out of a fraudulent, physical copper trade in Uzbekistan and the payment away of the company's funds;
- advising a major international bank in relation to claims arising out of multiple trade finance transactions involving underlying transactions and agreements in a broad range of jurisdictions including most recently Vietnam, Belgium and Ghana;
- advising the Financial Services Compensation Scheme in connection with a number of potential cross border recovery claims arising out of investments in a range of illiquid funds investing in foreign jurisdictions, including in Greece and the USA;
- advising a corporate pension trustee and its investment manager in connection with a claim against its investment bank broker arising out of a £1.2 billion global, programme trade using an algorithmic strategy;
- advising a limited partnership general partner and investment manager and operator in relation to a potential professional negligence claim
- advising a facility agent and issuer servicer in an international securitisation about its potential liabilities under a side loan and related litigation
"… a great tactical thinker who is always able to achieve outstanding results for his clients"
" … [his] wealth of experience and knowledge means that clients see a successful resolution of disputes. His great tactical awareness means that opponents are at risk of being outflanked"
Legal 500 (2020)
"a highly skilled strategist"
"a brilliant problem solver with finely honed litigation skills who achieves very successful outcomes"
Legal 500 (2019)