Sophie is a Legal Director in our Infrastructure, Projects and Energy Team with over 20 years' experience of advising infrastructure owners, sponsors, investors, sub-contractors, managers and lenders on the procurement and operation of major projects throughout the UK and beyond. Her specialist sectors include transport (airports, ports and roads), healthcare, defence, education and waste to energy, and her expertise lies in the planning, drafting, negotiation and troubleshooting of commercial contracts.
Sophie has spent many years advising both public and private sector clients on the procurement and operation of public private partnerships (including secondary market transactions and asset management). She was recently Senior Legal Counsel at Edinburgh Airport where she provided advice across a wide spectrum of legal issues and commercial contracts.
- Senior Legal Counsel at Edinburgh Airport. Part of the Senior Management Team in a role which included the review, negotiation and management of commercial contracts (including aviation, construction, facilities management, retail, IT, engineering and training contracts) and advising the Airport on their airspace change and renewable energy projects;
- Advising on infrastructure projects at Marchwood, Teeside and Barrow-in-Furness ports including the negotiation of wharfage agreements and Ministry of Defence contracts;
- Advising various investors purchasing or disposing of equity in PPP projects, carrying out due diligence exercises over contract documents on their behalf and coordinating corporate documents - including an equity sale and intra-group share transfer in respect of the M25 PPP Project and an equity transfer in respect of the Dumfries and Galloway Hospital NPD Project;
- Advising SPVs and lenders in respect of operational public private partnerships including disputes, contract interpretation, contract variations, handback and sub-contractor insolvency;
- Advising SPVs and lenders in respect of the procurement of the M11 and N25 road projects in Ireland, Scottish hub projects and Scottish NPD projects;
- Advising various technology sub-contractors on the Manchester Waste, Derby Waste and West Sussex energy from waste projects and local authorities on the Clyde Valley and Edinburgh waste projects;
- Advising various English local authorities on the outsourcing of a wide range of commercial contracts including IT and social care services.
- University of Dundee, LLB (Hons), 1998
- Edinburgh University, Diploma in Legal Practice, 2000
- CLT, Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test, 2011