Jörg’s area of expertise comprises the whole field of white collar and tax crime, compliance consulting and criminal defence. He advises corporations on the detection and prosecution of internal irregularities (Corporate Investigation), on investigations performed by law enforcement and regulatory authorities (Corporate Defence) and on prevention (Corporate Prevention & Criminal Compliance). Jörg Bielefeld further defends individuals in the whole area of white collar criminal law and tax crime. He is particularly specialised in advising companies on criminal and administrative offences with the early defence against impending sanctions, having another focus on providing advice in complex compliance cases, both in an international and national context.
- Banking cooperative in Central Germany: strategic advice and investigation re fraud and theft of huge amounts of Gold by an employee (8-digit damage), cooperation with Insurance company and Prosecutor, avoiding special investigation by banking supervision authority BaFin according to Sec 44 German Banking Act
- Major German plant manufacturer: criminal law assessment of alleged corrupt practices involving individuals in Germany and Russia; developing strategy on dealing with the situation and mitigating the risks
- Banking cooperative in Northern Germany: internal investigation re alleged fraud scheme implemented by a former CEO (7-digit damage), including cooperation with Police and Prosecutor, tax authorities and banking supervision authority BaFin and setup of an external defense counsel team of 11 colleagues
- Major German energy provider: criminal law assessment of alleged corrupt practices; developing strategy on ways to implement a compliant conduct and improvement of anti corruption compliance proceedings
- Banking cooperative in Southern Germany: internal investigation into fraudulent conduct of a part-time employee (7-digit damage), criminal law assessment and cooperation with police and prosecutor, civil law and regulator aspects
- German Fintech: Covering the winding down of an unlawful business according to banking supervision authority BaFin restrictions; negotiations with the prosecutor’s office and BaFin.
- Major German automotive supplier: internal investigation into an alleged social contributions fraud, criminal law assessment of multiple compliance-related situations, defending the client against prosecution authority
- Bavarian banking cooperative: Advice re intransparent conduct of an external advisors, cooperation with banking supervision authority BaFin, reallocation of compliance procedures and training of management and supervisory board
- Municipal utilities corporation: investigating a corruption scheme involving leading employees, cooperation with Prosecutor and Police
- Major German automotive supplier: investigation into a fatal work accident, complex coordination with Bavarian Federal Police experts and other authorities involved, defending the client against prosecution authority
- Austrian Bank: advice on how to deal with a whistleblowing activity, support in internal investigation
- Savings Bank in Southern Germany: advice on dealing with a cybercrime attack
- Individuals: Witness counsel to several dozens of employees of a major Italian bank re alleged breach of United States embargo rules regarding Iran, SWIFT code stripping, and fraud to U.S. correspondent banks
- Individuals: Defending various bank employees in cum/ex tax fraud investigations
- Individuals: Defending a board member of a former German department store chain re alleged embezzlement and fraud
- Individuals: Defending the President of a medical council re alleged tax evasion
- Individuals: Defending a Diesel motor construction engineer re alleged aiding and abetting fraud
German Compliance Conference (Deutsche Compliance Konferenz by Deutscher Fachverlag): Setting the respective contents and agenda, picking the speakers, and moderating the conference in the years 2020, 2021 and 2022
German Corporate Sanctions Act (VerSanG-E) 2.0 - What results from the "official" draft?
in: Compliance-Berater 07/2020
Effective organizational culture, risk- and compliance culture to avoid liability
in: Compliance-Berater, 06/2020
German Corporate Sanctions Act (VerSanG-E) - Official!
in: Compliance-Berater, 06/2020
Cooperation under the Association Sanctions Act: How Others Do It - Lessons from the UK and USA
in: Compliance-Berater, 1–2/2020, p. 8 et seq.
Supervisory Board Member as Mini Jobber - Questionable Awo Transactions
Jörg Bielefeld (multiple quotes on the "Awo Scandal")
in: FAZ of 13 December 2019, No. 290, p. 31
Interdisciplinary view of compliance culture
in: Compliance Dezember 2019/Januar 2020, p.10
Cooperation with Criminal Prosecutors in Accordance with the Draft law on German Corporate Sanctions Act
in: Compliance-Berater, 11/2019, p. 413 et seq.
Everything is going to Change
in: Compliance-Berater-Editorial, 11/2019
German Corporate Sanctions Act - Cooperation with Prosecutors
in: Compliance-Newsletter, November 2019, p. 7
The victim compensation procedure under the new law on asset recovery - opportunity and risk at the same time
Jörg Bielefeld und Timo Handel
in: wistra, 01/2019, p. 9 et seq.
Sanctions against Companies for Compliance Violations: Current Developments and Trends
in: Fraud & Compliance Management: Trends, Entwicklungen, Perspektiven, Hans-Willi Jackmuth, Christian de Lamboy and Peter Zawilla (Publisher), Frankfurt School Publisher, 2018
New Impetus for Internal Investigations - How the Coalition Agreement influences Internal Surveys
in: Compliance, 04/2018, p. 2
Asset Recovery and Compliance
in: Compliance, 09/2017, p. 2
CEO Fraud is making Steam in the Compliance Discussion
in: Compliance-Berater, 3/2017
New risks for Companies: What is in Store for Traders in Goods under the (amended) 4th EU Money Laundering Directive
Jörg Bielefeld and Dr. Lenard Wengenroth
in: Betriebs Berater, 42/2016, p. 2499 et seq.
Role Models are Needed - Why every Company needs a Functioning Compliance Culture
Jörg Bielefeld (Interview)
in: Kölner Stadtanzeiger and Kölnischen Rundschau, 7.10.2016
Anti-Corruption Law puts Healthcare in the Focus of Law Enforcement
in: Compliance, 3/2016, p. 2
Ban on Seizure of Defence Documents from Internal Investigations - Practical Consequences of the Decision of the Braunschweig Regional Court of 21 July 2015
Jörg Bielefeld and Dr Lenard Wengenroth
in: Compliance Berater, 3/2016, p. 79 et seq.
Anti-Corruption 2.0 - Practical Implications of the Federal Government's Draft Law on Combating Corruption
Jörg Bielefeld and Dr Lenard Wengenroth
in: Compliance-Berater, 10/2015, p. 367 et seq.
Everyone should be the best CO
in: Compliance, Edition June 2015
Companies are facing a dilemma
in: Compliance, Edition 04/2015, p. 7
Compliance - ISO-Standard 19600
in: Compliance, February 2015, p. 2
Using the instruments - Plea against an Independent Corporate Criminal Law
in: DeutscherAnwaltSpiegel, Edition 02, 23 January 2013, p. 4 et seq.
Guest Appearance on 07 Octobre 2015 on FINANCE-TV about: the Emissions Scandal also raises Compliance Issues at VW;
Jörg Bielefeld regularly gives Lectures on Corporate Investigation and Prevention & Criminal Compliance.
Jörg Bielefeld trained over 10.000 executive staff of various corporations in Anti-Corruption Compliance and in Best Practice during Search and Seizure
- Year Qualified
- Awards & Rankings
"TOP Lawyer" for Compliance Law (WirtschaftsWoche, since 2019)
Jörg Bielefeld is one of "Germany’s best lawyers" for White Collar Law (Handelsblatt & Best Lawyers, since 2019)
Jörg Bielefeld is a recommended Lawyer for White Collar Crime, Internal Investigations & Compliance in Germany, first tier (LeadersLeague 2022)
Jörg Bielefeld is recommended for White Collar Law in Germany (EXPERT GUIDES 2020, 2021)
Jörg Bielefeld is recommend for Compliance Law (kanzleimonitor 2019/2020, 2020/2021)
- Justus-Liebig University, Giessen, Germany (1st State Examination in Law, 1999)
- University of Osnabrück, Germany (Postgraduate Studies, White Collar Crime, 2001)
- Regional Court of Giessen, Germany (2nd State Examination in Law 2003)
- Criminal Law Working Group of the German Lawyers Association (AG Strafrecht)
- White Collar Crime Association, WisteV (Wirtschaftsstrafrechtliche Vereinigung e.V.)
- European Criminal Bar Association, ECBA
- German Centre for White Collar Crime, DZWiSt (Deutsches Zentrum für Wirtschaftsstrafrecht e.V.)