Elaine Barker is a Managing Associate in AG's London Disputes Group, and is part of the Product Safety and Disputes team. Elaine has over 7 years' experience acting for insurers and global product manufacturers in relation to product liability disputes, with a specific focus on mass tort and recalls. She has considerable experience defending claims against manufacturers of medical devices in the UK, as well as monitoring and assisting local counsel in relation to product claims arising in various EMEA jurisdictions.
Elaine has experience in all stages of pre-action and litigated disputes and has acted for some of the largest global healthcare and medical device manufacturers. She has assisted a multinational client when responding to a high-profile government review and helped prepare responses to questions raised by regulators, both in the UK and EU.
As part of her involvement in large scale product liability claims, she is skilled at analysing medical records, understanding complex technical documentation, dealing with experts and employing a forensic approach to claims. Elaine also has experience in co-ordinating large scale disclosure exercises and is adept at supervising large teams of people, of differing levels of seniority, and delegating tasks appropriately.
- Acting for a global manufacturer of medical devices defending claims brought in the English High Court in respect of the manufacture and supply of multiple gynaecological products.
- Acting for a FTSE 100 pharmaceutical company in the defence of a number of English claims in respect of allegedly defective breast implants.
- Acting for a global pharmaceutical company in respect of a world-wide recall of hip prostheses, involving 90,000 patients.
- Cardiff University (LPC, 2006)
- Cardiff University (Law LLB, 2004