Cécile Burgess is a Managing Associate within the Litigation Group based in London. Cécile has extensive experience of acting for global product manufacturers in relation to product liability claims and risk management. Cécile focuses on life sciences (pharmaceuticals and medical devices), and is also experienced in the cosmetics and consumer goods industries. She acts on a wide variety of disputes, including both contractual and tortious claims, as well as "pure" product liability disputes, with extensive experience in instructing both scientific/technical and legal experts. In addition to her litigation and dispute resolution work, Cécile advises on regulatory, product safety and compliance issues. This work includes management of local counsel in Europe and other international jurisdictions, liaising with authorities and regulators around the world, and advising clients in a "trusted advisor" capacity on liability, regulatory and compliance issues. Cécile is a dual qualified Solicitor of England & Wales and French lawyer, with first-hand knowledge of the interaction of French and English civil litigation systems.
- Acting for GlaxoSmithKline in the defence of a large group action in the English High Court brought by English claimants in respect of the use of its antidepressant Seroxat.
- Secondment to a global pharmaceutical company, advising on the defence of a number of English claims in respect of the use of one of its vaccines.
- Defending a group action in the English High Court brought by a group of English claimants against a global medical device manufacturer in respect of allegedly defective hip prostheses.
- Coordinating the defence of a global manufacturing company to a series of contractual and tortious claims across various jurisdictions regarding the supply of allegedly defective products to businesses in the life sciences sector.
- Advising a multinational sustainable technologies company on the regulatory and product liability risks associated with developing its medical products business, and proposing strategies for managing the risks arising.
- Acting for global manufacturers of cosmetics products and other consumer goods (including electronics and electronic components) to coordinate the handling and resolution of individual product liability claims around the world.
- Coordinating on an international basis a number of large recalls of consumer products on behalf of market-leading international brand names, including the recall of non-compliant cosmetic products, consumer electronics and electronic components, and automotive component parts.
- Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme (2015)
- Université Paris I, Panthéon-Sorbonne – Master of Laws (2008)
- King's College London / Université Paris I, Panthéon-Sorbonne – LLB in English Law and French Law (2007)
- Year qualified - Paris Bar, 2011
- Year qualified - England & Wales, 2015