Addleshaw Goddard's Real Estate team has been crowned in the 'Commercial Property' category at the Yorkshire Legal Awards 2017, hosted by Leeds & Yorkshire Lawyer magazine, for advising on a series of ground-breaking deals that have played a key role in reshaping the Yorkshire skyline.
Seeing off competition from a line-up of the region's top firms, the firm clinched the coveted industry title at the event, held on 12th October at New Dock Hall. Showcasing outstanding talent across Yorkshire, this year's category focused on the developments and regeneration projects changing the face of the region's infrastructure.
The category was decided following a rigorous judging process by a panel of experts, who commended AG's pivotal role in a series of large-scale projects, most notably: advising Brough South Consortium on the development of a 125 acre mixed use scheme adjoining the Humber Estuary, a significant development which will include housing, a new primary school, healthcare facilities and a supermarket; acting for Lateral Property Group Axiom J32-M62 on the development of a new regional shopping centre, Axiom J32-M62, Yorkshire, with associated stadium for Castleford Tigers Rugby League Football Club and a country park; and playing an integral part in delivering the £60m refurbishment of the Meadowhall Centre for British Land.
Commenting on the win, Real Estate Partner Bruce Lightbody said: "We are seeing a marked shift in the amount of investment pouring into Yorkshire, including overseas investors, which has serviced a boom in development across the region. We are immensely proud of our roots in Yorkshire, and we deserve our positioning as the dominant players in the region's Real Estate market, notably because of the vision of the clients we act for, our commitment to the area and the dedication of the teams who work on these deals."
The Leeds based team has recently grown further, with the hire of prominent planning Partner, Glenn Sharpe, and the promotion of Peter Mason, a Partner with specialist expertise in the Energy Sector. In 2016 the Firm made a significant investment in its new home at 3 Sovereign Square in the heart of Leeds, an office which houses AG's largest Real Estate team of nearly 100 people, serving a third of the Firm's top 25 clients.
In a series of industry recognition, the Firm's Real Estate team is also shortlisted in the 'Property Team of the Year' category at the British Legal Awards 2017, hosted by Legal Week, and for the 2017 Student Accommodation Awards in the 'Professional Team of the Year' category.
Notes to Editors
The team has advised on a series of headline deals, including:
- providing advice in connection with the New Creative Arts Building for Leeds Beckett University, a landmark development in the heart of the City's University Quarter
- advising on the delivery of a "new concept" M1 Junction 45 Motorway Service Area for Extra MSA Leeds Limited
- advising the Dandara Group on the largest Build to Rent portfolio deal to date (over 2,000 apartments in Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham comprising a financing package of £400m)
- advising Carillion on Tower Works Leeds, the regeneration of old industrial site in Holbeck, a key slice in the regeneration of the city's South Bank
- acting for Standard Life on the forward purchase of a new HQ building for FTSE building supply company SIG plc at Sheffield Business Park
- acting for Muse Developments in the development and investment sale of over 100,000 ft. sq. of distribution units at Logic Leeds to Leeds City Council
- advising National Grid Gas on the property aspects of sale a majority stake in its gas pipe network to a group of investors, one of the biggest real estate mandates in the energy sector this year by scale and value