A growth sector rapidly evolving
With more than 20% of the UK population predicted to be over 65 years old by 2025 and a current chronic shortage in purpose built retirement housing, the senior living sector continues to go from strength to strength. The increasing demand for suitable residential properties that facilitate independent living whilst still providing care, combined with the rapidly emerging mixed tenure and affordable retirement living models, suggest this trend is only set to continue. Although senior living remains an attractive investment prospect to both UK and international private and public sector stakeholders, key to successfully navigating the unique challenges this sector brings is understanding how to balance the need to provide high quality care with the need to deliver attractive returns, but also to manage these with the regulatory and reputational risks involved in this exciting area.
- How we can help you
Please contact us if you need advice on:
- Investment in or funding, acquisition, development or disposals of senior living and extra care facilities;
- Tax efficient structuring of retirement living villages, communities and care homes;
- Operational management and sales agency agreements;
- Corporate acquisitions, disposals and the refinancing and restructuring of senior living and extra care portfolios;
- Ground rent sale and leaseback transactional structures;
- Employment, commercial contracts or disputes issues including force majeure and material adverse change issues;
- Intellectual property and regulatory issues.
Our partner led teams are not only experts in the sector but also pride themselves in working collaboratively with you and your chosen partners to minimise risk and get the deal done.
- Extensive Experience
- Advising Healthcare Developments on the site acquisition/assembly, development and ancillary disposals in connection with a circa 12-acre healthcare village development, comprising a 60,000 sq ft private hospital, 70-bed care home, 300-unit retirement village (100 of which are to be affordable), 50 bed convalescent home, children’s day nursery and GP surgery and pharmacy (location confidential).
- Advising Michael Howard Homes, a luxury retirement developer and operator, on its site acquisitions for its retirement villages in East Anglia
- Advising Bank Leumi (UK) PLC on the acquisition and development finance for an 86-unit luxury retirement living facility for the Frogmore group to be operated by Oak Retirement , including reviewing and negotiating the development management and long term operational agreements.
- Advising One Healthcare Partners on the corporate group structuring and subsequent acquisition, funding and development of two private hospitals, including its ancillary agreements with a care home operator for the management of the estates going forward.
- Advising a major institution on the development and joint-venture operational arrangement with a luxury retirement operator for a 156 unit scheme.
- Advising a UK based investor and developer on the long leasehold acquisition and development of a circa 60,000 sq ft private hospital and dementia centre.
- Debt funder - advising on the refinancing of two care home in Hampshire and Burcot operated by a major luxury care home and retirement operator.
Key contactsMeet the team
Partner, Real Estate
Partner, Real Estate
Manchester, United Kingdom