Charles Tissier is a counsel in the Finance group of Addleshaw Goddard (Europe) LLP Paris office.
Charles is a recognized lawyer in the field of finance/structured finance and has recognized expertise in capital markets transactions, including debt capital markets, derivative and repos/stock-lending transactions.
He has developed a strong expertise in domestic and complex cross-border financial transactions and disintermediated financing and regularly advises financial institutions, borrowers and investors at all stages of the structuring or restructuring transaction.
Charles advises French or foreign financial institutions and corporates on their issuance, investment and debt-rating transactions (euro bonds, EMTN programmes, hybrid securities, Euro PP, covered bonds, high yield, commercial paper, NSV/Schuldschein…) and liability management transactions.
Charles also advises on fintech, blockchain and cryptocurrency assets. Charles regularly speaks at University and conferences and seminars including on financial regulation, debt capital markets and structured products.
Charles's experience includes:
- A popular cooperative bank: Advising the Lead Manager in the first two Euro PP bonds issues of a French private group in the health sector linked to ESG criteria.
- A major French bank: Advising the Lead Manager in a successful Euro PP bond issue by a major European retailer listed on Euronext Access.
- Two French commercial banks: Advising two French banks, joint arrangers of the EUR 209 million Schuldschein of a French agricultural and agri-food cooperative issued in 2020.
- Advising three French banks as joint arrangers on the inaugural ESG-linked Schuldschein loan by Agrial Group in 2021.
- Advising a French financial institution as arranger on the inaugural German law governed registered notes issued by a major player in social housing with a nominal amount of EUR 50,000,000 issued in 2021.
- Charles Tissier is ranked as key lawyers for Capital Markets Debt Capital Markets in the 2023 Legal 500 EMEA guide
- Charles Tissier is ranked for Derivatives and Structured Finance (Firm to watch)
- Certificate of Qualification for the Legal Profession, 2010
- University of Paris Dauphine, Master 2 in Business Law, 2008
- University of Paris Ouest Nanterre la Défense, Master 1 in Civil and Commercial law, 2007
- University of Law of Bergen (Norway), Bachelor of Business Law, 2006
Charles Tissier has been recognized in Capital Markets in a variety of international guides
- IFLR 2021/2022: Charles is named among the "Rising Stars" in Capital Markets (including Debt Capital Markets and Structured Finance and Derivatives)
- Legal 500 EMEA 2021: Charles is recognized in the 2021 edition for his "recognized expertise in capital markets transactions, including debt capital markets and derivatives instruments." Following its arrival in 2018, and arrival of Partner Julien Bacus, "the team has clearly established itself as a key player in the French market."
- Chambers Europe 2021: Charles is named in the latest edition of Chambers Europe
- Charles Tissier is ranked as Key Lawyer for Capital Markets – Debt Capital Markets (Tier 3) In the 2023 Legal 500 EMEA guide
- Professional Memberships
- Paris Europlace: member of the financial law committee and crypto asset/blockchain committee
- Member of the steering committee of the Future Leaders of the International Capital Markets Association (ICMA)
- Member of the FinTech ICMA Working Group
- Participation to the European Federation of Energy Traders (EFET) legal committee
- Participation to various Pro Bono initiatives
- Regular speaker on topics linked to finance (including debt capital markets and financial regulation) in the context of conferences organised by training institutes, market associations or delivered directly to clients.
He co-authored various articles, including:
- Update of the Euro PP Charter: the Euro PP wants to regain the advantage (La Lettre des Juristes d’Affaires, October 2019)
- Eco-friendly bonds: green bonds, social bonds and sustainability bonds (Option Finance, June 2017)
- The entry into force of French short term papers (bons de caisse) bonds 2.0 (Option Finance, November 2016)
- The NEU MTN market gets a new look (Bulletin Joly Bourse, November 2016)
- Sustainable growth for green bonds (Option Finance, September 2016)
- Legibility, simplicity and attractiveness of NEU CP (Option Finance, June 2016)
- Green Bonds - All the lights are green (Option Finance, April 2016)
- The Euro PP market: a new flexible financing tool for SMIs (SBF 120 Guide, March 2015)