Charles Tissier is a counsel in the Finance group of Addleshaw Goddard (Europe) LLP Paris office.
Charles is a recognized lawyer in the field of finance/structured finance and has recognized expertise in capital markets transactions, including debt capital markets, derivative and repos/stock-lending transactions.
He has developed a strong expertise in domestic and complex cross-border financial transactions and disintermediated financing and regularly advises financial institutions, borrowers and investors at all stages of the structuring or restructuring transaction.
Charles advises French or foreign financial institutions and corporates on their issuance, investment and debt-rating transactions (euro bonds, EMTN programmes, hybrid securities, Euro PP, covered bonds, high yield, commercial paper, NSV/Schuldschein…) and liability management transactions.
Charles also advises on fintech, blockchain and cryptocurrency assets. Charles regularly speaks at University and conferences and seminars including on financial regulation, debt capital markets and structured products.
- Bred Banque Populaire: Advising the Lead Manager in the first two Euro PP bonds issues of ORPEA linked to ESG criteria.
- Bred Banque Populaire: Advising the Lead Manager in the inaugural Euro PP bonds issue by Groupement des Mousquetaires and listed on Euronext Access.
- BNP Paribas et Société Générale: Advising BNP Paribas et Société Générale as joint arrangers of the EUR 209,000,000 Schuldschein placement issued by Agrial Group in 2020.
- BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole and Société Générale: Advising Société Générale, BNP Paribas and Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank as joint arrangers on the inaugural ESG-linked Schuldschein loan by Agrial Group in 2021.
- Natixis: Advising Natixis as arranger on the inaugural German law governed registered notes (Namensschuldverschreibungen)issued by Erilisa SA D'HLM (social housing company) in 2021.
- Ellipse Project Consulting / Vilogia SA d'HLM: Advising on the first Euro PP bond issuance of Vilogia SA d'HLM, listed on Euronext Access.
- Real Estate Finance: Advising City Mall on the refinancing of a financing loan acquisition in Nice.
- Major international banks and French companies: Advising major international banks on their debt capital markets transactions (eurobonds, Green Bonds, Euro PP, Samurai Bonds, Uridashi Bonds, Covered Bonds, NEU CP, NEU MTN, EMTN and NSV/Schuldschein transactions).
- Major international banks and French companies: Advising major international banks and French companies in the structuration of derivatives transactions, securities lending, repurchase transactions and financial collateral arrangements and their financial documentation (ISDA, FBF, GMRA, GMSLA, EMA Master Agreements…) and the related regulatory aspects.
- European Federation of Energy Traders: Advising the European Federation of Energy Traders (EFET) in the issuance, for the benefit of the EFET members, of the French law legal opinions regarding enforceability of certain provisions of the EFET General Agreements concerning the delivery and acceptance of electricity and natural gas.
- Local authority: Advising local authorities in the establishment or the update of their EMTN program.
- Major French or foreign companies: Advising major French or foreign companies in the establishment or update of NEU CP or NEU MTN Programmes.
- Major French companies: Advising on the restructuring of their derivatives operations.
- French major corporate active in the retail food/non-food sector: Advising, in the context of entering in May 2019 into safeguard proceedings before French courts, on the restructuring of their derivatives transactions, mainly structured in the form of forward sales and equity swaps entered into with five financial institutions.
- Major French apparel company: Advising, in the context of the opening in May 2020 of a reorganization proceedings before French courts, on the restructuring of their derivatives transactions and the consequences for the client of the termination of some of them.
- The RATP Développement / Kéolis consortium: Advising on the structuration of the derivatives transactions in connection with the contract award procedure for the operation of the "CDG Express" rail link.
- Major international banks and French companies: Advising in distribution of financial products and asset management.
- Certificate of Qualification for the Legal Profession, 2010
- University of Paris Dauphine, Master 2 in Business Law, 2008
- University of Paris Ouest Nanterre la Défense, Master 1 in Civil and Commercial law, 2007
- University of Law of Bergen (Norway), Bachelor of Business Law, 2006
Charles Tissier has been recognized in Capital Markets in a variety of international guides
- IFLR 2021/2022: Charles is named among the "Rising Stars" in Capital Markets (including Debt Capital Markets and Structured Finance and Derivatives)
- Legal 500 EMEA 2021: Charles is recognized in the 2021 edition for his "recognized expertise in capital markets transactions, including debt capital markets and derivatives instruments." Following its arrival in 2018, and arrival of Partner Julien Bacus, "the team has clearly established itself as a key player in the French market."
- Chambers Europe 2021: Charles is named in the latest edition of Chambers Europe
- Professional Memberships
- Paris Europlace: member of the financial law committee and crypto asset/blockchain committee
- Member of the steering committee of the Future Leaders of the International Capital Markets Association (ICMA)
- Member of the FinTech ICMA Working Group
- Participation to the European Federation of Energy Traders (EFET) legal committee
- Participation to various Pro Bono initiatives
- Regular speaker on topics linked to finance (including debt capital markets and financial regulation) in the context of conferences organised by training institutes, market associations or delivered directly to clients.
He co-authored various articles, including:
- Update of the Euro PP Charter: the Euro PP wants to regain the advantage (La Lettre des Juristes d’Affaires, October 2019)
- Eco-friendly bonds: green bonds, social bonds and sustainability bonds (Option Finance, June 2017)
- The entry into force of French short term papers (bons de caisse) bonds 2.0 (Option Finance, November 2016)
- The NEU MTN market gets a new look (Bulletin Joly Bourse, November 2016)
- Sustainable growth for green bonds (Option Finance, September 2016)
- Legibility, simplicity and attractiveness of NEU CP (Option Finance, June 2016)
- Green Bonds - All the lights are green (Option Finance, April 2016)
- The Euro PP market: a new flexible financing tool for SMIs (SBF 120 Guide, March 2015)