Doug Smith has a broad range of experience in the area of commercial law and specialist knowledge of corporate restructuring and insolvency law. He represents companies in financial difficulty, their creditors, insolvency/restructuring office holders and the executives of companies in financial difficulty. He has been involved in most of the significant Irish restructuring and insolvency cases in one capacity or another. He has also been involved in cross-border restructurings and insolvencies and has extensive experience in the area of personal insolvency.
"Doug Smith is an excellent solicitor."
Legal 500 EMEA, 2023
"Doug Smith is an adept lawyer who is well versed in an array of complex mandates, such as liquidations and examinerships."
Chambers Europe, 2023
"Extremely approachable and knowledgeable...practical and commercial with a wealth of experience to draw on."
Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
“The group has a solid reputation in the market thanks in part to the presence of Doug Smith. He and the team continue to land some significant engagements.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
“He is great to work with, very approachable and commercial.”
Chambers Europe, 2022
“Doug is extremely experienced in this area.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
“Experienced, commercial and easily accessible.”
Chambers Europe, 2021
“Doug Smith is a great legal thinker. He considers every aspect of a case and anticipates any problems before they arise. He has a wide and deep knowledge of insolvency law…approachable, practical and commercial with a wealth of experience to draw on.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
Chambers Europe, 2020
- Doug is co-author of the Law Society of Ireland’s insolvency manual.
- Rescue Process for Small and Micro Companies Commenced >
- Rescue Process for Small and Micro Companies - Bill Published >
- Small Business Rescue >
- Stormy Weather >
- Covid-19: Guidance from ODCE - Comfort for Directors >
- Covid-19 Directors Duties and Solutions for Distressed Businesses >
- Training delivered
Doug is a regular lecturer and tutor on corporate restructuring and insolvency law matters with the Law Society of Ireland. He has spoken at conferences organised by professional bodies and other organisations including the IBA.
- Admitted as a solicitor in 1997
- B.A. (1990) & LL. B (1993) University College, Galway
- Professional memberships
- A founding member of the Irish Society of Insolvency Practitioners (now known as Rescue & Insolvency Ireland) and served as its Chairman. Doug is also a member of the Company Law Review Group (“CLRG”). The CLRG is a statutory advisory body charged with advising the Minister for Business, Enterprise & Innovation on the review and development of company law in Ireland. As part of his role on the CLRG, Doug advised on the design of and recommendations to the Minister in relation to SCARP – the new rescue process for small business.
- Law Society of Ireland
- Dublin Solicitors Bar Association
- IBA (Insolvency/Restructuring/Creditors’ rights)
- INSOL Europe
- UK Insolvency Lawyers’ Association
- Rescue & Insolvency Ireland (RII)
- RII’s Nominee on Company Law Review Group – Insolvency sub-committee