Sandeep is head of the UAE banking and finance practice and has been based in Dubai since 2003. He has extensive experience advising on all aspects of conventional and Islamic banking, finance and capital market matters across the Middle East.
Sandeep's practice covers both Islamic and conventional financing, with a focus on leveraged finance, real estate finance, trade finance, export finance, sovereign lending, sustainable finance and capital markets (including sukuk).
Examples of transactions worked on include:
- Advising Mobile Telecommunications Company (MTC) on a USD 6 billion Islamic financing for the 3rd GSM licence in Saudi Arabia.
- Acting as international legal counsel to the Government of Egypt on its USD 3bn conventional and Islamic sustainable financing in 2021 and a USD 2bn conventional and Islamic financing carried out in 2020.
- Advising Gulf International Bank on a USD 240m acquisition financing to Noon for the acquisition of Namshi, a UAE fashion portal.
- Advising Wasl LLC on a AED 3bn real estate refinancing in the Emirate of Dubai.
- Acting for the Five Hospitality group on a AED 720m acquisition financing for the purchase of a five-star hotel in Dubai, UAE.
- University of Essex – English and European Laws (LLB) 1999
- English (native)
- French (intermediate)
- German (basic)
- Dutch (basic)
- Hindi (native spoken)
- Punjabi (native)
Sandeep Puri is seasoned in a broad range of finance matters, including project and real estate finance. He is equally capable in conventional and Shari'a-compliant finance and well versed in acting for big-name financial institutions.
Chambers Global, 2023
Sandeep Puri is extremely knowledgeable and understands the regional dynamics very well. Sandeep's feedback is practical and constructive, and despite time challenging requests, he addresses them effectively and in a timely manner.
Legal 500 (2023)