Ian is a Finance transactional lawyer whose clients include banks, insurance corporations and other alternative lenders, developers and asset managers. Ian has a particular specialism in real estate finance and he advises clients on domestic and international property finance transactions (development and investment), including in relation to student accommodation, built to rent/sell, healthcare, logistics and office assets. Ian routinely advises on some of the UK's most high-profile real estate finance transactions, including sustainability-linked and green finance loans, and has also advised clients on some of the Build to Rent sub-sector's "firsts", including the UK's largest build to rent portfolio acquisition to date (where he acted lender-side). Clients value Ian's adroit handling of complex matters and his pro-active handling of instructions, he always manages to find a way to drive matters through to a successful completion.
- Advised Aviva on the provision of £164m debt facilities to a UK listed REIT, which included sustainability-linked tranches
- Advised the senior lenders on the financing of the largest build to rent portfolio acquisition in the UK to date
- Advised Pension Insurance Corporation as lender on its £129m project financing of a mixed use commercial and student accommodation development in SE London for the London School of Economics and Political Science
- Advised Aviva on its development and investment financing of a portfolio of healthcare hubs
- Advised a clearing bank on the establishment of a £50m revolving development facility to fund the development of 16 housing developments across the north of England
- Advised Pension Insurance Corporation on their acquisition, development and financing of their first ever built to rent scheme at New Victoria, Manchester
- Advised University Partnerships Programme (borrower-side) on several development and investment financings including, the £98m Swansea Bay student accommodation financing
- Advised Lloyds Bank on the £82m development financing of One Embassy Gardens (the first office development to be built at the Nine Elms development)
- Acted for Peel Holdings (borrower-side) on its refinancing of MediaCityUK
- Build to Rent: Cause for Optimism (October 2020)
- Registration of Overseas Entities Bill – An Update (October 2019)
- The Evolving Scope of Sustainable Finance (July 2019)
- The Growth of Green Finance (February 2019)
- University of Nottingham – BA History (Hons) First Class
- Nottingham Law School – Graduate Diploma Law
- University of Law – Legal Practice Course (City)
- Professional Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales
Ian Kynoch advises on a range of real estate finance matters, with experience acting for both borrower and lender-side clients. He has notable expertise in the build-to-rent sector. "He was very quick to understand our business and impressed with his knowledge and in keeping us up to date with changes in the market."
Chambers & Partners (2021) – Real Estate Finance (London) – "associate to watch"