Gareth is a managing associate in our commercial dispute resolution team.
He specialises in high value and complex commercial disputes across a wide range of sectors and areas of law including company law and shareholder disputes, energy & utilities disputes, construction disputes, professional negligence claims and contentious trusts. Gareth is accustomed to conducting proceedings both before the Courts and before arbitral tribunals and also has experience of resolving disputes by alternative means, including mediation.
- Acting for a corporate shareholder in an AIM listed company in respect of a shareholder dispute arising from disputed dismissals of directors and resulting in parallel litigation in England, Jersey and Malaysia.
- Acting for an independent oil and gas exploration company in connection with the enforcement of an arbitral award. The underlying arbitration proceedings concerned information rights under a series of related shareholders' agreements pertaining to an indirect investment in an exploration block in the Kurdish region of Iraq.
- Acting for a state owned enterprise in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings arising from a demurrage dispute under crude oil sale and purchase contracts, including subsequently resisting enforcement of the award in the English High Court on grounds of sovereign immunity.
- Advising a major international energy company in an insurance coverage dispute arising out of the construction of a hydroelectric power facility in Central America.
- Advising a professional indemnity insurance provider in relation to a threatened claim against an insured architect arising from a fire causing significant damage to an existing hospital building in central London
- Acting for an institutional trustee in a claim against a former trustee arising from mismanagement of trust assets leading to substantial investment losses.
- Advising beneficiaries of a trust in relation to a potential claim against the present trustee arising from alleged mismanagement of the trust assets leading to a liability to foreign tax.
- Acting for a generic pharmaceuticals company in ad hoc arbitration proceedings concerning an insurance coverage dispute under a policy of insurance covering the risk of patent infringement liability.
- Professional memberships
- ICDR Young and International
- LCIA YIAG
- University of Oxford – BA Hons (First Class), Law (2008)
- College of Law (London Moorgate) – LPC (2009)
- Year qualified 2011
- Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings) 2012