Abby is an Associate in the Litigation Department. Abby has a focus on Health and Safety matters, including best practice advice, related litigation and public inquiries. She also has experience in regulatory, financial crime and environmental matters. She acts for clients under investigation or facing enforcement action by regulatory authorities including the Police and Health and Safety Executive across all aspects of health and safety.
She has a wide range of experience advising on commercial disputes and appearing in the Sheriff Court. She also has experience in the necessary procedures from initial investigations to raising and progressing actions through the Sheriff Courts and Court of Session in Scotland. Her experience extends to a range of alternative dispute resolutions forums, including mediation.
Abby represents a wide range of clients, including local authorities, SMEs, commercial organisations and individuals across var ious sectors.
- Experience in defending a high value, complex breach of warranty claim totalling in excess of £50 million in value , including serious allegations of fraud, and successfully reaching settlement
- Acting on behalf of a Core Participant in relation to the Scottish Hospitals Inquiry set up to determine how issues relating to adequacy of ventilation, water contamination and other matters adversely impacting on patient health safety and care occurred at hospitals in Edinburgh and Glasgow.
- Advising a corporate body in an investigation into accounting irregularities arising from an employee's fraud and embezzlement scheme, amounting to £2.1million. Including providing advise on criminal prosecution.
- Acting on behalf of an institution in the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry investigating the abuse of children in care in Scotland between 1930 and 2014.
- Acting for a former CEO of a former FTSE 250 company in relation to investigations by the Insolvency Service and Financial Conduct Authority.
- Advising a client in response to a HSE investigation following a serious injury at work and defending alleged offences under health & safety and construction legislation, including defending Notices of Improvement and Contravention and criminal prosecutions
- Advising a client in relation to the validity and enforceability of an Abatement notice served in respect of an alleged nuisance (noise) caused by two wind turbines. Advice included the raising of court action on the enforceability of the abatement notice and existence of a nuisance.