Barry is a Managing Associate within the Restructuring team. He specialises in transactional insolvency and is accomplished in corporate restructurings, refinancing, distressed business and distressed debt sales. Barry is noted for particular knowledge relating to creditors' committees, the application of liens over assets and issues relating to football insolvency. An armed forces background including wartime service provides constructive and practical problem-solving skills. Barry is able to identify key points, analyse technical issues and offer workable solutions.
- Acting for viral content outlet LadBible on the acquisition of its former rival UniLad from administrators – a deal which brought together the two most-read English language publishers on Facebook.
- Advising the board of the directors of a high street retailer in respect of particular insolvency risks and directors' duties issues arising through circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Acting for FRP Advisory as administrators of Aegis Water Treatment Limited in the sale of its business and assets to hsl Compliance, part of the SGI Holdings Group, securing the future of all employees.
- Advising JD Sports Fashion on the acquisition of Liam Gallagher's Pretty Green boutique clothing brand, including the online and wholesale business, as well as a flagship store in Manchester.
- Advising a clearing bank on the restructuring of the facilities provided to a listed group of companies specialising in data-driven marketing and internet traffic optimisation.
- Acting for a footwear chain on its successful challenge of a warehouse-keeper's purported lien over stock. Similarly, acted for the board of an outdoor clothing retailer negotiating the release of stock from a storage provider asserting a lien.
- Advising Grant Thornton as administrators of Nicholls Food Packaging Limited in the sale of its business and assets to Euro Packaging Group, saving all 92 jobs.
- Professional Memberships
- R3 (Committee member – North West New Professionals Division)
"Barry demonstrated a high degree of technical knowledge and his guidance was always clear and to the point. He was sensitive to the timescale and commercial considerations of the deal, and his careful oversight of each stage ensured everything was completed on schedule. I would certainly recommend Barry for any similar projects, and would welcome an opportunity to work with him again."
Client Testimonial, Clearing Bank