Simon is the head of the Dispute Resolution team in Scotland specialising in commercial contractual and insolvency disputes. He regularly handles complex and high value cases in both Sheriff Court and the Court of Session with a particular focus on commercial, contractual, insolvency and sports related disputes.
Simon regularly provides specialist insolvency advice to insolvency practitioners, banks and company directors on a range of issues arising from corporate insolvency including gratuitous alienation and unfair preferences claims, retention of title, landlord’s hypothec, wrongful trading and directors’ duties and disqualification issues. As well as his expertise in insolvency, Simon has particular experience in the property and energy sectors. Simon has a strong reputation in insolvency, property, energy and sports related disputes as well as general commercial and contractual litigation. His clients range from insolvency practitioners, banks and public limited companies to small privately owned companies and partnerships, UK football clubs and professional sportsmen in the fields of football and athletics.
Simon is a Solicitor Advocate and is the appointed solicitor member of the board of the Scottish Courts and Tribunal Service.
- Successfully defended a breach of warranty claim with a value in excess of £50million eventually resulting in a settlement of less than 10% of the value of the claim.
- Successfully pursued a claim for deferred consideration under a sale and purchase agreement and defended warranty counter claim. The case was worth several million pounds and eventually settled at mediation
- Successfully pursued a claim on behalf of a Scottish football club to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland
- Successfully acted for an oil services company in a series of disputes relating to short term leases of an oil rig with a total value of over $100m
- Pursuing a breach of warranty claim on behalf of a major oil company where damage total in excess of $9 million
"Simon Catto comes highly recommended as an adviser to football clubs and players. He handles regulatory advice as well as acting for concerned parties in disputes."
Chambers UK 2017
"Leader in his field"
Legal 500 2016
“Sources consider head of the firm’s dispute resolution practice Simon Catto to be “an excellent all round lawyer” who can “really quickly and instinctively pick up key points.” Particular areas of strength include sport, insolvency and property disputes.”
“Impressed clients report he is experienced beyond his years, providing sound and sensible commercial advice.”
- Professional memberships
- Appointed solicitor member of the board of the Scottish Courts and Tribunal Service.
- Vice Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee of the Scottish Courts and Tribunal Service