Philip Chalmers is a Managing Associate in our finance and restructuring team, based in Dubai. Philip moved from the firm's Edinburgh office in July 2018. Philip specialises in conventional and Sharia compliant banking and finance matters with particular expertise in multi creditor debt restructurings, insolvency and local and cross-border real estate finance. He regularly advises funders to the region's sovereign wealth funds and family offices in respect of acquisitions and investments in the region, Europe and the UK.
Philip is qualified to practice law in Scotland and England & Wales and is a Scottish notary public. He completed a secondment in the Corporate Real Estate team at Lloyds Banking Group in 2016.
- Advised one of the joint KSA co-bidders in respect of the distressed takeover of Lamprell Plc, the first Saudi backed take private in the UK.
- Advised a major UAE financial institution in respect of distressed loan portfolio sale to a private credit fund focussed on NPLs
- Advised a major UAE financial institution in respect of the restructuring of AED260m facilities made available to a prominent pub group in the UAE, including advising on enforcement options.
- Advised a major family office in respect of the consolidation and restructuring of numerous bilateral facilities made available by a major UAE financial institution.
- Advised a major Omani family office in respect of its debt restructuring with over 20 regional banks.
- University of Aberdeen - Postgraduate diploma in Professional Legal Practice, 2013
- University of Aberdeen - Bachelor of Laws, 2012
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of Scotland
- Law Society of England & Wales