Philip is a Managing Associate in our Finance and Restructuring team in the Middle East. He specialises in conventional and Islamic corporate finance, real estate finance, shipping finance and project finance matters across a range of industries, including construction, telecommunications, infrastructure, energy and utilities, renewables and TMT. He has a particular specialism in debt restructuring mandates.
Prior to joining our Middle East practice Philip worked in the firm's Edinburgh office and completed a secondment in the Corporate Real Estate team at Lloyds Banking Group.
- Advised Emirates Integrated Telecommunications Company PJSC (Du) on its hybrid conventional / Islamic term and revolving credit facilities made available by a syndicate of four regional and international banks
- Advised Mashreq Al Islami, Islamic Banking Division of Mashreqbank PSC in the provision of US$260 million Islamic working capital facilities to Sharjah National Oil Corporation (SNOC)
- Advising the steering committee of banks in respect of the US$1.6 billion restructuring of the KBBO Group
- Advising the steering committee of banks in respect of the US$1.3 billion restructuring of the Finablr plc
- Advised certain lenders in respect of the restructuring and insolvency of NMC Health plc
- Advised Lafarge Emirates Cement on its US$300 million debt restructuring with 12 banks
- Advising the lenders in respect of the restructuring of the facilities made available to the Kuiper Group, a sponsor backed oil and gas business
- Advising a pan-GCC retailer in respect of its US$650 million restructuring with 13 conventional and Islamic banks.
- Advising the Qatari lenders in respect of the liquidation of Joannou & Paraskevaides LLC, the high profile collapse of one of the main contractors to the FIFA World Cup 2022.
- Advising the Mandated Lead Arrangers on the restructuring of QAR2.6 billion term facilities provided to a major corporate sponsor for the construction and development of Mazoon Towers in West Bay, Doha.
- Advising the Mandated Lead Arrangers on the QAR1.2 billion conventional and Islamic facilities provided by six Qatari banks to a Qatar real estate development company in respect of its development of "Vendome Mall" in Lusail City, Qatar.
- Advising the Omani lenders in the provision of a US$300 million term and revolving credit facility to Oman Tank Terminal Company LLC, a subsidiary of Oman Oil SAOC, for the construction of an oil handling terminal and refinery.
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank, Dubai branch in the provision of a US$100 million bridge loan facility to refinance a family office's real estate investment portfolio
- Advised Dragon Oil in respect of a US$300 million acquisition facility made available by Standard Chartered Bank
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank in respect of a US$100 million revolving credit facility made available to a major financial institution in Qatar
- Advised various family offices and medium sized businesses in respect of director's duties during the onset of insolvency and the UAE bankruptcy code
- Advised Bank Muscat in the provision of an OMR 37 million term facility to Eagle Hills for the construction and development of a new Mandarin Oriental outside Muscat, Oman. This transaction was one of the first in Oman to incorporate the escrow account provisions promulgated by Royal Decree No. 30 of 2018
- Advised Bank Sohar in the provision of a $250 million project finance facility to a port authority based in Muscat, Oman
- Advised the Qatari lenders on one of the largest financings made by a single Qatari conventional bank in 2020. QAR2.5 billion term facilities were provided to partially finance the construction and development of "Qetafian Island" a 1,000,000 square feet plot off the shore of Lusail City consisting of a world class waterpark, luxury beach resort, chalets, residential buildings and waterfront villas
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of Scotland
- Law Society of England & Wales