As a member of our Finance and Projects Group, Nick specialises in non-contentious transactional finance work.
He has a particular focus on funding which has a positive environmental, social and/or governance purpose or impact, and has been recognised by independent guides for his work in the social and affordable housing sector. Nick provides advice on the sector and the current funding market, and enjoys long-standing relationships with a number of our major financial institutional clients including Barclays Bank, Lloyds Banking Group, NatWest / RBS and Santander UK. He also leads our sector relationships with National Australia Bank, Clydesdale Bank, Yorkshire Building Society, Nationwide Building Society, BNP Paribas, Dexia and Handelsbanken UK.
Recent social impact, sustainability-linked and/or housing finance transactions he has led include advising:
- each of AIB Group, Barclays Bank PLC, Barclays Bank UK PLC, Clydesdale Bank PLC, Dexia Crédit Local, Lloyds Banking Group, National Westminster Bank, Nationwide Building Society, Newcastle Building Society, Pension Insurance Corporation, Royal Bank of Canada and Santander UK on facilities and notes totalling £1.15 billion to the Catalyst housing group and the Aldwyck housing group as part of the merger of these housing groups.
- each of Barclays Bank PLC, Lloyds Banking Group, The Royal Bank of Scotland plc and Santander UK plc in respect of their existing loan facilities to LiveWest group totalling £525,000,000 in relation to the conversion of LiveWest Treasury.
- each of Barclays Bank PLC, Barclays Bank UK PLC, The Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Santander UK and Triodos Bank UK on the restatement of £196,000,000 of loan facilities to the Citizen housing group in connection with its group amalgamation.
- National Australia Bank on its entry into the social housing finance sector and as arranger, in aggregate, of £460,000,000 of loan facilities to Platform Housing, L&Q Housing, A2Dominion Homes, Metropolitan Housing, Sovereign Housing and Chelmer Housing.
- each of BNP Paribas and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation on their respective 'sustainability linked loan' transactions, with metrics linked to the relevant borrower meeting certain environmental and/or social impact key performance indicators.
- Clydesdale Bank PLC as arranger of new or restated loans to each of Derwen Cymru, Flagship Housing Group, Keniston Housing, Network Treasury Services and Stonewater.
- Handelsbanken UK as new lender to each of Gateway Housing and Shepherds Bush Housing.
- Yorkshire Building Society as arranger of new or restated loans to each of Trent & Dove Housing and WHP2 Limited.
Standout individuals include Nick Barlow who is "well known and holds significant relationships".
With a team of "unmatched experts" that "consistently performs at the best possible level", Addleshaw Goddard is "considered a clear leader in the social housing field with a strength in depth that is rare to find". Nick Barlow "provides practical and sound advice".
Legal 500 2018
Nick Barlow is "eminently capable, knowledgeable and easy to work with," say clients.
Nick Barlow advises funders to major housing groups on loan agreements, including the restructuring and refinancing of loans, including following housing association mergers. Sources say he is "a real specialist in the field with a wealth of experience."
'Nick Barlow is prompt, attentive and attuned to what banking clients in the region want and expect'.
Legal 500 2020
Nick Barlow "helps to put matters into layperson's terms, has tactical foresight and is always available."
Nick Barlow is an authority on social, sustainable and green finance.
Legal 500 2021
"Nick Barlow - senior partner but always approachable and available to provide informal advice and counsel on any matters pre/post deal. Provides considered and pragmatic advice and seeks solutions and importantly speaks clear English - always essential for non-legal experts! Nick has tremendous sector knowledge and always delivers a good outcome for clients."
Legal 500 2021