Ben is a Corporate Partner based in our London office, with a particular focus on advising clients in the financial services sector.
Ben's experience includes advising on a wide range of corporate and strategic transactions including UK and cross-border mergers and acquisitions (including acquisitions under the UK Banking Act 2009), disposals, joint ventures and intragroup restructurings. He also advises the boards of companies, building societies, co-operatives and other entities on directors' duties and constitutional, corporate governance, strategic and regulatory driven matters and projects.
Ben's clients include banks, building societies, mutuals, asset managers, brokers and stock exchanges, amongst others.
Ben closely monitors regulatory developments and advises clients on compliance and the strategic importance of regulatory change.
Some highlights of Ben's recent transactional experience include advising:
- a global bank on various intragroup re-structurings of its UK wealth and investment management business
- an exchange on the disposal of its stake in a clearing house
- Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Ltd on its £1.388 billion recommended cash offer to acquire the London Metal Exchange
- a bidder on a competitive auction to acquire a banking business under Part VII of FSMA 2000
- on the establishment of Reclaim Fund Ltd and the creation of the UK unclaimed assets scheme for banks and building societies
- the UK retail banks on the creation of, and their investment in, Big Society Capital Limited
- Bank of Montreal on its acquisition of UK-based institutional asset manager Pyrford International
In addition, Ben has significant experience advising building societies and other mutuals, and has acted on numerous strategic transactions and developments in the sector, including advising:
- Nationwide on its mergers with Portman Building Society, Derbyshire Building Society and Cheshire Building Society, its partial acquisition of Dunfermline Building Society under the UK Banking Act 2009 and subsequent social housing book acquisition from the Bank of England's wholly owned subsidiary DBS Bridge Bank Limited and on the the establishment of Nationwide UK Ireland
- Yorkshire Building Society on its mergers with Barnsley Building Society and Norwich & Peterborough Building Society
- Skipton Building Society on its mergers with Scarborough Building Society and Chesham Building Society
- Portman Building Society on its merger with Lambeth Building Society
- Britannia Building Society on its merger with Co-operative Financial Services, the first merger of its kind between two different types of mutual organisation under new enabling legislation
During 2014, Ben served on secondment as Acting Deputy Group General Counsel of Nationwide Building Society.
- Admitted as a solicitor, England & Wales: 2001
- The College of Law, London (now The University of Law) – Legal Practice Course (1998)
- University of Sheffield - LLB (Hons) (First Class) (1994-1997)