Roger Byrne is the Head of Region in Addleshaw Goddard Oman and a banking and project finance partner, based in Muscat. He leads the team of English and Arabic lawyers and has practice experience of more than 25 years, including over a decade in the GCC. He has advised on high profile banking, infrastructure and project finance matters and his clients comprise of leading regional and international banks, government / semi-government entities and blue-chip enterprises with a particular focus on energy and utilities, renewables and oil & gas sectors. He also advises issuers and issue managers on debt capital market transactions and sponsors establishing investment funds.
Roger is a thought leader in the legal industry of Oman and he is annually praised by Chambers and Legal 500 with a number of top-tier rankings and accolades.
Prior to joining Addleshaw Goddard Roger has practiced in a leading Australian law firm, an Australian listed investment company and New York based investment bank.
- Advising the Mandated Lead Arrangers and an international and domestic lending syndicate on the US$ 625,000,000 syndicated secured financing for refinance and expansion capital to OCTAL SAOC FZC for its plastics manufacturing plant at Salalah in Oman.
- Advising Marubeni Corporation led syndicate for the US$ 73,000,000 secured solar power project financing for Oman's first solar power project and associated securities package and advising sponsors on Oman law issues.
- Advising the Mandated Lead Arrangers and an international and domestic lending syndicate for the US$ 177,000,000 secured refinancing facility involving both conventional finance and Islamic Finance facility (diminishing Musharaka) for Services & Trade Group (the diversified international construction and diversified industries group) and associated security package.
- Advising the lender for the US$ 96,000,000 construction development finance facility for the construction and development of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel and Apartment project at Shatti Muscat and associated security package.
- Advising the lender for the US$ 173,000,000 construction development finance facility for the construction and development of the St Regis Hotel and Apartment project at Al Mouj Muscat and associated security package.
- Advising the Mandated Lead Arrangers on the US$ 105,000,000 secured project financing for the Pittie Textiles Spinning Mills project at Sohar Port Free Zone and associated security package.
- Advising as the Oman counsel for the international lenders for the project financing of a Liquid Petroleum Gas extraction plant and related pipeline infrastructure, LPG storage and jetty facilities in the Salalah Free Zone, Oman. The ultimate sponsor for the transaction is the Government of Oman. The facility was US$ 640,000,000 and our role including providing advice on structuring, input to legal due diligence report and risk matrix, regulatory compliance and other local law advice in relation to the project and project financing matters, preparing the onshore securities.
- Advising as the Oman counsel for the international lenders for the project financing of 2 downstream gas projects, an ammonia plant and a methanol plant production facility, in the Salalah Free Zone, Oman. The ultimate sponsor for the transaction is the Government of Oman. The facility was US$ 728,000,000 and our role including providing advice on structuring, input to legal due diligence report and risk matrix, regulatory compliance and other local law advice in relation to the project and project financing matters, preparing the onshore securities.
- Advising the Mandated Lead Arrangers for the US$ 178,000,000 construction development finance facility to Tamani Global Development and Investment LLC for the construction and development of the Palm Mall at Muscat Oman though a Diminishing Musharaka structure and associated security package.
- We acted for Ministry of Defence Pension Fund (MODPF), one of the largest pension funds and property owners in Oman, on the construction financing of the 5 star Anantara Hotel in Jabal Akhdar, Oman. The transaction was the first time MODPF has used debt facilities to finance this type of transaction. We advised in connection with all the project documents that were initially entered into by MODPF and as part of the financing were novated to the SPV borrower so that the transaction was non-recourse to MODPF's assets (although MODPF provided a completion guarantee).
- Advising the Mandated Lead Arrangers for the syndicated secured conventional and Islamic facilities totalling US$ 257,000,000 for the Moon Iron & Steel Company SAOC project at Sohar.
- Leading the US$ 235,000,000 secured club term loan facility for lenders to Oman Oil Refineries and Petroleum Industries Company LLC to construct the 290 km Muscat – Sohar Pipeline Project for the transportation of oil products from two refineries.
- Advising the Mandated Lead Arrangers to the syndicate of project financing the US$ 400,000,000 for the Saraya Bandar Jissah Integrated Tourism Complex and structuring and perfecting the security package in Oman.
- Advising the Mandated Lead Arranger to the syndicate project financing the US$ 100,000,000 refinancing for the Bar Al Jissah Resort and structuring and perfecting the security package in Oman.
- Advising the Mandated Lead Arranger to the syndicate of lenders for the US$ 145,600,000 development finance facility to Omani Hospitality Company for the construction and development of the Kempinski Hotel at the Wave and associated security package.
- Advising the Mandated Lead Arrangers and Bookrunners to the syndicate project financing the US$ 815,000,000 for the Shadeed Iron and Steel Company LLC existing operations and expansion project and structuring and perfecting the security sharing arrangements between term loan lenders and working capital banks in Oman
- Acting for the lender on its US$ 560,000,000 asset finance facility to Oman Air SAOC for acquisition of aircraft supported by a Debt Service Undertaking from the Ministry of Finance, Oman.
- Acted for the existing management of Oman Investment Corporation SAOC (one of the leading investment companies in Oman) regarding a management buy-out by the existing management. The sellers comprised local and foreign banks/financial institutions and Oman's largest sovereign wealth fund. The buy-out was fully debt funded with limited recourse to the new owners. This deal is (apparently) the first successful leveraged management buy-out in the GCC region.
- Advising Omantel as Issuer on its US$ 2,000,000,000 bond issuance and advising on the prospectus, corporate and regulatory issues.
- Professional Qualifications
- Admitted as a Solicitor to the Supreme Court of Queensland
- Subsequent admissions to the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Supreme Court of Western Australia, the Federal Court of Australia and the High Court of Australia
Rated in "Hall of Fame" in Oman for banking and finance: 'Roger "runs a very accessible banking group which is known for its industry knowledge and individual partner attention"; "an expert in the field" and "has developed a reputation as a go-to-lawyer for sophisticated and complex banking and finance transactions."
Rated in Band 1 and quotes market commentators as saying Roger "understands the level of service we expect". "Clients praise his strong presence in negotiations and his commercial acumen."
Chambers and Partners
- Financial Services Institute of Australasia, Graduate Diploma in Applied Finance
- Queensland University of Technology, LLB
We operate from an office in Muscat, in association with Nasser Al Habsi & Saif Al Mamari Law Firm, with which we share a wealth of expertise and experience across a range of legal disciplines.