Addleshaw Goddard is one of the leading full service practices in the sector, providing national coverage from our offices across the UK.
Our team acts for both borrowers and lenders on asset-based lending (ABL), trade finance and supply chain finance transactions as well as other alternative lending arrangements.
The team has significant experience of the full spectrum of ABL transactions, both syndicated and bilateral, and ranging from simple invoice discounting arrangements, to structuring full ABL borrowing base transactions, whether or not cross-border.
As well as advising on transactions across a range of business sectors, our team handles issues such as:
- Drafting precedent documentation suites for lenders
- Portfolio acquisition and management
- Cross-border transactions
- Developing regulatory-driven, sector-specific financing solutions
- Regular input on ABL structures provided on an off-balance-sheet basis, as well as back-to-back receivables structures, block discounting and revolving collateral borrowing base facilities and Shari’a-compliant structures
Our supply chain finance team acts for UK and major international banks as well as large corporates in relation to the legal aspects of supply chain finance. Our experience ranges from advising on bilateral supplier finance arrangements, through to multiparty hosted supply chain finance programmes, and even into structuring off-balance-sheet third party funding by investors into a bank's supply chain finance programmes. We have substantial experience in providing supply chain experience in emerging markets.
Our trade finance team has substantial experience covering a range of trade finance products including documentary credits, import finance, pre- and post-export finance, receivables finance and bills of exchange including structured trade finance products. We act for many of the UK's leading banks in this field as well as international banks and major UK corporates.
This expertise is complemented by a very experienced team in the contentious side of the practice. A number of the finance disputes team specialise in the sector, as well as benefitting from the experience of our business support and restructuring team, who have a strong track record of successful work in the sector.
Our clients include:
- A range of major UK banks
- Advance Global Capital Ltd
- Bank of London and The Middle East plc
- Close Brothers Invoice Finance Ltd
- Clydesdale Bank plc
- Leumi ABL Ltd
- PNC Business Credit
- Secure Trust Bank
Recent case highlights include:
- Advising a UK challenger bank on its suite of standard lending and security documentation for the provision of invoice finance and full asset-based lending facilities
- Advised a major UK bank on the development of a fully online receivables financing product
- Advising a major UK plc borrower on a £150 million off-balance-sheet receivables financing facility
- Advising a UK bank on a £20 million back-to-back receivables finance facility to a UK ABL
- Advising a UK bank on a Shari’a-compliant £20 million receivables finance facility
- Advising a leading UK bank on establishing its multijurisdictional supply chain programme
- Advising the lending syndicate on a £70 million syndicated receivables finance facility
- Advising a UK ABL on the acquisition and integration of a customer portfolio from a lender leaving the UK market
- Advising a major African bank on a $150 million structured trade financing across 12 jurisdictions
- Advising an African bank on a $30 million equipment finance programme in Liberia, Nigeria and Mauritius
- Advising a major UK plc on its supply chain finance programmes
- Advising a well-known UK brand-name manufacturer on a suite of £15 million full ABL facilities
Chambers UK (2016):
"Commercial and efficient, a good option for mid-sized deals."
"Mike Davison understands asset-based lending very well."
"The pragmatic, easy to deal with Simon Prendergast."