David is a highly experienced energy partner and have advised oil and gas companies, oilfield services business and their debt and equity funders in the UK and internationally for over 25 years. He has led a large number of complex cross border corporate transactions and acquisitions of oilfield interests in a corporate wrapper. He has also acted for a large number of corporates and private equity houses (based in U.S., Norway, and United Kingdom) who have invested into oilfield service companies in the UKCS, NCS and other jurisdictions, including MENA and ASEAN regions, Australia, and West Africa. David has been described as "pragmatic" and "solution driven".
He has acted for:
- Waldorf Production on the acquisition from the joint receivers of Endeavour Energy UK, a UK corporate with production through its non-operated interests in the Alba, Bacchus, Bittern, and Enoch oilfields
- a Nigerian E&P business on its acquisition of a Production Unit and related upstream projects (vessel chartering, proximityagreements, helicopter chartering, oil services, and O&M contracts) and the first stage development of a 500km dual pipeline system
- a specialist PE Fund on its acquisition of UK, Norwegian, Malaysian and Australian investments
- a Dubai headquartered Oilfield services group in connection with the acquisition of an oil service business
- an International Oilfield Group in connection with group structuring, establishment of branches, joint venturing arrangements in Europe, GCC and African jurisdictions
- Shareholders of a company specialising in eProcurement systems and services
- Zennor Petroleum (backed by Kerogen Capital Hong Kong) on its acquisition of First Oil plc's UKCS oil & gas assets out of administration
- Wintershall Norge AS in the disposal of the entire share capital of Wintershall (UK North Sea) Limited to Dutch registered SPV MNS Oil and Gas B.V., a subsidiary of MOL
- a large number of E&P companies (both on-shore and offshore) on licensing, contracting, compliance and general operational matters
- a large number of Private Equity houses (based in U.S., Norway and United Kingdom) investing into Oil and Gas service companies in the UKCS and other jurisdictions, including U.A.E, MENA and ASEAN regions, West Africa, Brazil, China and Kazakhstan
- acting in connection with International and UKCS joint venturing, alliances and partnering
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of Scotland
"David acts for a range of clients in the oil & gas industry, lending his vast experience to M&A, disposals and other corporate transactions. He gains further recognition for his cross-border expertise, acting on transactions in Nigeria, China and Singapore".
Chambers and Partners UK, 2018
"David McEwing is known for his experience acting for clients in the oil and gas sector and is highly regarded for his abilities in transactional work. Market commentators praise his "broad knowledge and problem-solving approach".
Chambers and Partners UK, 2017
Ranked: Tier 1, Leading individual - Corporate and Commercial: elsewhere in Scotland, Legal 500 UK, 2018
Ranked: Tier 1, Notable individual – Oil and gas, Chambers and Partners UK, 2018