Andrew is an experienced real estate lawyer whose clients range from property developers and investors, REITs funds and banks, to local authorities and insolvency professionals.
Having begun his career in New Zealand with a leading firm, Andrew relocated to the UK and joined Addleshaw Goddard in 2004.
He is the co-head of the Real Estate division's Retail sub-sector and is one of the firm's Client Relationship Partners for Hammerson plc and Muse Developments. Andrew also acted for Surrey Heath Borough Council on its acquisition of Camberley Town Centre in 2016 and is now advising on the council's town centre regeneration scheme.
On the investment side, Andrew's client roster includes Schroders, Squarestone and HSBC Alternative Investments, for whom he has advised on the purchase, management and sale of offices, industrial buildings and student accommodation assets.
Andrew also focuses on indirect real estate investment, acting regularly for UK and off-shore funds, as well as having acted on the buy and sell side of a number of large-scale portfolio transactions for US private equity funds.
For developers such as Muse and HUB Residential, in recent years Andrew has acted on a number of landmark residential-led mixed use development schemes, from site assembly through to disposal.
Key clients and recent experience include:
- Advising Surrey Heath Borough Council on its strategic £100m acquisition of a Jersey Property Unit Trust which owns Camberley Town Centre and adjoining buildings, and advising on the management and redevelopment of the town centre
- Leading the teams advising Hammerson on a number of key asset disposals in 2016 and 2017, at a combined value in excess of £300m
- Leading a cross-office team of lawyers managing and disposing of the £1bn Propinvest Gemini portfolio on behalf of CBRE Loan Servicing and their appointed receivers Deloitte LLP
- Acting for HUB Residential on the establishment of a £100m joint venture to acquire and develop London residential schemes, and advising the JV on its forward-funded sale to M&G of a £50m PRS development in North Acton
- Muse Developments on a number of residential-led mixed-use regeneration schemes including a residential/PRS development in Bristol and the £120m regeneration of Lambeth Town Hall, new civic offices and three residential towers in Brixton
- Acting for Schroders in relation to its regional offices fund
- HSBC Alternative Investments Limited as part of a team establishing a £200m fund to invest in a portfolio of student accommodation assets
- Acting for a US private equity fund and its asset manager on the real estate aspects of a £200m portfolio acquisition
- Professional memberships
- British Council of Shopping Centres
- Investment Property Forum
- Law Society Admission Date: May 2006
- Admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand, September 1998
- University of Auckland, New Zealand (LLB, BA – English & Politics) 1997