Andrew is an experienced real estate lawyer whose clients range from property developers and investors, REITs funds and banks, to local authorities and insolvency professionals.
Having begun his career in New Zealand with a leading firm, Andrew relocated to the UK and joined Addleshaw Goddard in 2004.
Andrew is the co-head of the Real Estate division's Retail sub-sector and is one of the firm's Client Relationship Partners for Hammerson plc for whom Andrew has co-ordinated asset management and disposal work on Hammerson's retail parks portfolio since 2012.
He led the team advising the administrators and receivers of the £1bn Gemini portfolio, concluding with the sale of the remainder of the portfolio to Colony Capital for over £300m.
Andrew is also a client relationship partner for residential development clients Muse Developments and HUB Residential for whom, in recent years, Andrew has acted on a number of landmark residential-led mixed use development schemes, from site assembly through to disposal. Andrew also acts on the forward-funding of residential development schemes for Federated Hermes' residential "Hestia" (formerly Vista) fund.
His investment fund client roster includes Schroders, Federated Hermes and Squarestone, whom he has advised on the purchase, management and sale of office and industrial portfolios.
In 2016 Andrew acted for Surrey Heath Borough Council on its acquisition of Camberley Town Centre and is now advising the Council on the regeneration of the town centre.
Andrew's practice also covers indirect real estate investment, acting regularly for UK and off-shore funds, as well as having acted on the buy and sell side of a number of large-scale portfolio transactions for US private equity funds and ultra-high net worth individuals.
Key clients and recent experience include:
- Muse Developments on a number of residential-led mixed-use regeneration schemes including a residential/PRS development in Bristol and the £120m regeneration of Lambeth Town Hall, new civic offices and three residential towers in Brixton
- Acting for Waterside Places Limited Partnership (a joint venture between Muse Developments and the Canal & River Trust) on a £250m, 10-tower, 500+ unit residential development in Tottenham Hale, including a £40m forward-funding of a 108-unit PRS tower by Grainger Residential
- Leading the AG teams advising Hammerson since 2012 including, since 2016, a series of key retail park disposals (both corporate and asset level sales), at a combined value in excess of £600m
- Federated Hermes "Hestia" residential fund on the forward-funded development of a number of build-to-rent developments with a combined value of over £400m
- Acting for Kings Cross Central Limited Partnership (and its investment managers, Argent LLP) on its successful bid to become the development partner for the St Pancras Hospital development site, via an OJEU CPN procurement by the Camden & Islington NHS Foundation Trust.
- Leading a cross-office team of lawyers managing the £1bn Propinvest Gemini portfolio on behalf of CBRE Loan Servicing and their appointed receivers Deloitte LLP, concluding with the disposal of the remainder of the portfolio to Colony Capital for over £300m.
- Acting for HUB Residential on the establishment of a £100m joint venture to acquire and develop London residential schemes, and advising the JV on its forward-funded sale to M&G of a £50m PRS development in North Acton
- Acting for Schroders in relation to its regional offices fund
- The £120m acquisition of 39 luxury apartments in London for an overseas client, using a unique acquisition structure to facilitate future disposals
- Advising Surrey Heath Borough Council on its strategic £100m acquisition of a Jersey Property Unit Trust which owns Camberley Town Centre and adjoining buildings, and advising on the management and redevelopment of the town centre including the OJEU procurement of a development partner
- Acting for a US private equity fund and its asset manager on the real estate aspects of a £200m portfolio acquisition
- Professional memberships
- Investment Property Forum