Richard specialises in large infrastructure projects with a bias towards economic and energy infrastructure. Richard acts for clients, developers, equity, debt and the supply chain. Richard is Head of Infrastructure, Projects & Energy Group and has been listed in Chambers for nearly ten years as an expert in his field.
- Advising SSE and Scotia Gas Networks on multiple projects including: The largest smart metering programme in the UK; Gas to the West (Infrastructure Journal mid stream deal of the year 2019); Slough energy from waste; multiple transmission projects (on and offshore) and multiple carbon capture and hydrogen projects; proposals for CCGT power stations and mothballing of Fiddlers Ferry.
- Advising HM Government on the Contract for Difference; Ofgem on the reform of OFTO legislation; the Northern Irish Regulator on the reform of the whole generation market in Ireland (North and South) and National Grid on complex areas like ex ante and ex post payments for capacity and the lenders including HM Treasury on the largest energy from waste deal in Europe.
- Novel economic infrastructure projects including: Southern Water on the build of a new reservoir out of the licenced undertaking area; multiple fibre; customer and supplier contracts for data and voice telcos including for KCOM and multiple client side economic infrastructure assets for clients such as: London Luton Airport and the Strategic Investment Board in Northern Ireland.
- Work for multiple clients around the world including: In energy from waste working for Hitachi Zosen in projects in places like Australia; biomass/CHP projects in multiple jurisdictions in Africa for Diageo; purchase of energy customers and platforms for Octopus Energy in Europe; World Bank/OECD multiple projects in Eastern Europe including in: Albania; Bulgaria and Slovenia.
- First of/largest of type projects on: Renewable heat-the Bernard Matthew project for Equitix (largest RHI deal in the market); the first biomethane gas to grid project for Centrica; the largest on shore wind farm in England for Peel; the first nationwide solar and battery behind the wire solution for Macquarie opposite Amazon; the first at scale AD project programme for Biogen Greenfinch and Agrivert; the first at scale use of heat from sewage to develop large scale RHI based greenhouse projects for Greencoat and the largest grant funded EfW project in Europe, Energy Works for Foresight Group.
- French - conversational
- Professional Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Law Society of Scotland