Richard specialises in large infrastructure projects, acting for developers, equity, debt and the supply chain. Richard is Head of Infrastructure, Projects & Energy Group and has been listed in Chambers for nearly ten years as an expert in his field.
- Developer and supply chain experience
Richard has acted as the lead energy lawyer on the purchase of a large gas-fired combined heat and power station from EON and also for:
- A FTSE company on a £400 million high and intermediate pressure pipeline deal outside of the UK
- A FTSE-listed company on utility provision into several acute hospitals and a nationwide cable rollout
- The largest project-financed wind farm in England and Wales
- The largest grant-aided energy-from-waste (EfW) plant in England
- The power generator on the Peterhead carbon capture and sequestration project and a series of innovative alternative dispute projects for the two leading market players.
- Equity and debt experience
Richard’s representative experience includes:
- As lead lawyer on the largest renewable heat deal in the world and investments in several funds backed by Green Investment Bank Acting for equity on the due diligence and purchase of a portfolio of capacity market generators
- Two power stations (diesel) in Saudi Arabia
- The largest EfW deal in Europe
- Several metering and smart metering deals and OFGEM on helping to create a debt and supply chain-friendly Offshore Transmission system.
- Client side and regulatory experience
Richard has advised:
- The regulator in the purchase of Northern Ireland Electricity by the Electricity Supply Board
- The company secretary of an infrastructure body with £16 billion of spend and Ofwat on the common carriage contract.
Richard's other clients include:
- SSE plc
- KCOM Group plc
- National Grid
- Tata Chemicals
- Peel and Diageo.