Giles is a Partner in the Corporate Finance Group of Addleshaw Goddard’s London office. He is an expert in advising on securities regulation and on listed company transactions, including takeovers and other regulated merger and acquisition (M&A) transactions (cross-border and domestic), initial public offerings (IPOs), reverse takeovers and public equity fundraisings involving companies listed on the Main Market or AIM market of the London Stock Exchange. Giles was seconded for two years to the UK Takeover Panel and is one of a select number of lawyers in the UK with cutting edge experience of takeovers gained both in private practice and at the competent authority for regulating takeovers and mergers in the UK. Whilst in private practice, Giles has advised on approximately 50 public takeover bids.
Giles has been ranked or listed in The Legal 500 UK, Chambers, SuperLawyers and Legal Experts for his expertise in advising on a range of UK listed public company transactions.
Giles is a member of the Corporate Finance Faculty of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) which, amongst other things, consults on proposed changes to securities, accounting and financial services regulation in the UK.
- SafeCharge International Group Limited on its £700m recommended takeover by Nuvei Corporation
- on Huadong Medicine's £186m recommended takeover offer for Sinclair Pharma Plc
- an investment fund on the competitive takeover offer for Sky plc
- GVC Holdings plc on its up to £4bn recommended takeover offer for Ladbrokes Coral Group plc
- Sport Business Acquisitions Limited on its £17m recommended takeover offer for Electric Word plc
- Creston plc on its £76m recommended takeover by a company owned and controlled by DBAY funds
- SWP Group plc on its £18m recommended MBO takeover by Friars 716 Limited
- Plethora Solutions Holdings plc on its £114m recommended takeover by Regent Pacific Group Limited
- Avanta Serviced Office Group plc on its £44m unsolicited (but subsequently recommended) takeover offer by Toscafund Asset Management LLP
- Latchways plc on its £124m recommended takeover by MSA Safety Inc.
- Accumuli plc on its £55m recommended takeover by NCC Group plc
Recent equity capital markets deals
- Nplus1 Singer Advisory (as nomad and broker) on the £73m IPO on AIM of essensys plc
- Numis Securities (as sponsor) on the £651m IPO of AJ Bell plc on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange
- The Multifamily Housing REIT plc on its proposed £175m IPO on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange
- Liberum Capital (as nomad and broker) on the £145m IPO on AIM of Mind Gym plc
- Peel Hunt (as nomad and broker) in relation to Dorcaster plc’s IPO on the AIM Market and subsequent reverse takeover of Escape Hunt
- B.P. Marsh & Partners plc on a placing and open offer
- City of London Group plc on its equity fundraising, change of investment policy and move to the AIM Market
- 3Legs Resources plc on its £161m IPO on AIM, including European equity fundraising and US private placement
- Panmure Gordon (as nomad and broker) in relation to Eagle Eye Solutions Group plc's £33m IPO on AIM
- Peel Hunt (as nomad and broker) in relation to Curtis Banks plc’s £85m IPO on AIM
- Selling shareholders on Lenta Ltd's US$952m secondary offering and US$4.3bn IPO and GDR listing on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange and on the Moscow Exchange
- Professional memberships
- ICAEW Corporate Finance Faculty
- Year qualified: 1998
- University of Bristol Law School (1995)
- The University of Bristol – BA (2:1) and LL.B (Hons) Law (1992 to 1995)
- "Giles Distin is highly praised in the market for his particular expertise in takeovers and thorough knowledge of the Takeover Code and AIM rules. Commentators say he is 'infectiously enthusiastic and technically excellent', describing him as a 'takeover specialist' and 'excellent lawyer'."
- "An excellent lawyer who is helpful, responsive, hands-on and personable…He is highly regarded in the ECM space…advising on technically complex cases."
The Legal 500 UK
- "Praised for his knowledge of listed markets" (M&A: midmarket)
- "Well regarded" (Small and midcap flotations)