Giles is a Corporate Finance partner based in London. He is an expert in advising on UK securities regulation and on UK listed company transactions, including takeovers and other regulated M&A transactions (cross-border and domestic), IPOs, reverse takeovers, public equity fundraisings and other equity capital markets transactions involving companies listed on the Main Market or AIM market of the London Stock Exchange. Giles was seconded for two years to the UK Takeover Panel.
His recent transactional experience includes advising:
- Raymond James Financial International Limited, as financial adviser to Raymond James UK Wealth Management Holdings Limited, on a £279m recommended takeover offer for Main Market listed Charles Stanley Group plc
- Fenchurch Advisory Partners, as financial adviser to James Hay Holdings Limited, on a £145m recommended takeover offer for AIM quoted Nucleus Financial Group plc
- AIM quoted Immunodiagnostic Systems Holdings plc on a £110m recommended takeover offer by Perkin Elmer Inc.
- AIM quoted GENinCode plc on its £42m IPO on the AIM Market
- Zeus Capital Limited, as financial adviser to Ecotricity Group Limited, on a £70m hostile takeover offer for AIM quoted Good Energy Group plc
- Singer Capital Markets and Berenberg on a £33m placing and open offer by AIM quoted essensys plc
- Rothschild & Co, as financial adviser to Dock Newco (owned by the Freshwater Group), on its £1.3bn recommended takeover offer for Main Market listed Daejan Holdings plc
- Liberum Capital, as nominated adviser and sole bookrunner, on the £120m IPO of SourceBio International plc on the AIM Market
- AIM quoted SafeCharge International Group Limited on a £700m recommended takeover offer by Nuvei Corporation, the largest AIM company takeover in 2019
- Main Market listed GVC Holdings plc on its £3.2bn recommended takeover offer for Ladbrokes Coral Group plc
- AIM quoted Scapa Group plc on its £33m cash box placing
- Numis Securities Limited, as sponsor and sole bookrunner, on the £651m IPO of AJ Bell plc on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange
- AIM quoted The Pebble Group plc on its £176m IPO on the AIM Market
- LexisNexis Market Tracker Trend Report: UK Public M&A report in 2021
- Corporate Financier Magazine, ICAEW, May 2020: "Adapt & survive – How to navigate a global crisis"
- To P2P or not P2P – Private Equity and public takeovers in the aftermath of Covid-19 - view here >
- Equity Raisings by UK PLCs in Covid-19 Times - view here >
- Professional memberships
- Corporate Finance Faculty of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Former secondee (Assistant Secretary) to the UK Panel on Takeovers & Mergers (2000-2002)
- Ranked as a notable practitioner in Equity Capital Markets
- "Giles Distin is an experienced capital markets lawyer who is routinely called upon to assist clients with IPOs on AIM. 'He is excellent technically,' reports an interviewee, adding that 'he's always very responsive'."
- "Highly knowledgeable, and proactive in highlighting potential issues and dealing with them."
- "Giles Distin is highly praised in the market for his particular expertise in takeovers and thorough knowledge of the Takeover Code and AIM rules. Commentators say he is 'infectiously enthusiastic and technically excellent', describing him as a 'takeover specialist' and 'excellent lawyer'."
- "An excellent lawyer who is helpful, responsive, hands-on and personable…He is highly regarded in the ECM space…advising on technically complex cases."
Legal 500 UK
- Ranked in the "Hall of Fame" in Equity Capital Markets
- "‘Giles Distin is an excellent lawyer and I would not hesitate to ask him to act for us on any ECM deal or a Code deal, where he really is a subject matter expert.'"
- "‘Giles Distin has provided us with first class support and has demonstrated his skill and experience in the public markets. He also has a strong relationship with the regulator and is able to provide clarity in complex issues.’"