Giles is a Corporate Finance partner based in London. He is an expert in advising on UK securities regulation and on UK listed company transactions, including takeovers and other regulated M&A transactions (cross-border and domestic), IPOs, reverse takeovers, public equity fundraisings and other equity capital markets transactions involving companies listed on the Main Market or AIM market of the London Stock Exchange. Giles was seconded for two years to the UK Takeover Panel.
His recent transactional experience includes advising:
- Rothschild & Co on Dock Newco's £270m recommended takeover offer for Main Market listed Daejan Holdings plc
- AIM quoted SafeCharge International Group Limited on its £700m recommended takeover offer by Nuvei Corporation, the largest AIM company takeover in 2019
- Main Market listed GVC Holdings plc on its £3.2bn recommended takeover offer for Ladbrokes Coral Group plc
- AIM quoted Scapa Group plc on its £33m cash box placing.
- Numis Securities Limited, as sponsor, on the £651m IPO of AJ Bell plc on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange
- AIM quoted The Pebble Group plc on its £176m IPO on the AIM Market
- LexisNexis Market Tracker Trend Report: UK Public M&A report in 2019
- Corporate Financier Magazine, ICAEW, May 2019: "Adapt & survive – How to navigate a global crisis"
- Year Qualified
- 1992 to 1995: University of Bristol (2:1; LL.B., Honours, 1994)
- University of Bristol Law School, 1995
- Professional memberships
- Corporate Finance Faculty of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Former secondee (Assistant Secretary) to the UK Panel on Takeovers & Mergers (2000-2002)
- Ranked as a notable practitioner
- "Giles Distin is an experienced capital markets lawyer who is routinely called upon to assist clients with IPOs on AIM. 'He is excellent technically,' reports an interviewee, adding that 'he's always very responsive'."
- "Highly knowledgeable, and proactive in highlighting potential issues and dealing with them."
- "Giles Distin is highly praised in the market for his particular expertise in takeovers and thorough knowledge of the Takeover Code and AIM rules. Commentators say he is 'infectiously enthusiastic and technically excellent', describing him as a 'takeover specialist' and 'excellent lawyer'."
- "An excellent lawyer who is helpful, responsive, hands-on and personable…He is highly regarded in the ECM space…advising on technically complex cases."