Partner in the Commercial Litigation team at Addleshaw Goddard and experienced in a broad range of commercial disputes with particular expertise in antitrust/competition litigation and large scale group litigation. Recent work includes group actions, multi-party lead case litigation, representative actions, GLOs and includes three of the most significant UK competition litigation cases of the last 10 years (the National Grid/GIS, Power Cables, and Air Cargo damages claims). Over the last 15 years Paul's work has covered a wide spectrum of business sectors, especially those that are consumer-facing, with a particular focus on cases in the transport/automotive, energy and financial services sectors.
Commercial disputes and arbitration
- Defending a $30m claim brought by a former employee of United Al Saqer Group for compensation after alleging he was forced out of the Abu Dhabi conglomerate and threatened with deportation. The claim, brought against UASG and HE Sheikh Mohammed and others, successfully challenged the English Court's jurisdiction arguing that there was no evidence that the criminal justice system in the UAE was susceptible to manipulation by the Defendants and that there was no real risk that the Claimant would not receive a fair trial in the UAE.
- Acting for a global commodity trading company in an arbitration concerning a dispute regarding iron ore mining rights in Sierra Leone.
- Acting for NATS in a dispute against a low cost airline regarding outstanding landing charges at UK airports.
- Bringing a successful Judicial Review on behalf of the Pension Protection Fund in a £1 billion claim regarding the PPF’s statutory obligations under retained EU law when assessing compensation, including interpreting and applying a series of Judgments of the Court of Justice of the EU, the Court of Appeal.
- Advising the independent trustees of a very large pension scheme in relation to State Aid issues and the statutory interpretation of a Crown Guarantee. The case involved Part 8 proceedings, an application for proceedings without a Defendant, and a trustees' Beddoe application.
- Durham University – BA (1999)
- University of St Andrews – MLitt (2000)
- University of Law (York) – PgDL (2001)
- University of Oxford (OXILP) – PgDLP (2002)
- Professional Memberships
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- Law Society of Ireland
- Law Society of Scotland