Nick is a partner in the firm's London corporate department. He specialises in private and public M&A and other corporate transactional work, such as joint ventures and reorganisations, across a range of sectors with a particular focus on Financial Services and the betting and gaming sector. His clients include Lloyds Banking Group plc, GVC Holdings plc, Rathbone Brothers Plc, Freightliner Group and Rothschild.
Nick has been named in The Lawyer's prestigious 'Hot 100' list. He is recommended in Legal 500 where he is referred to as "strategic and determined".
Recent transactions include advising:
- Lloyds Banking Group on its £1.9bn acquisition of MBNA from Bank of America in 2017 and, prior to that, the sale of debt portfolios to Cerberus and Kennedy Wilson; the sale of Hill Hire plc to Ryder Inc. and the sale of Halifax Estate Agencies to LSL Property Services plc. Nick has also been seconded to Lloyds Bank during which time he advised on the sale of their Australian business to Westpac
- GVC Holdings plc on the majority of its M&A since 2010 during which time it has stepped up from AIM to the Main Market and into the FTSE 100. In addition to numerous private M&A deals, he has advised GVC on its three key public takeovers: the £485m takeover of Sportingbet plc; the £1.1 billion takeover of bwin.party Digital Entertainment plc; and the £4 billion takeover of Ladbrokes Coral Group plc. Nick and team were highly commended and runner-up at the Lawyer 2018 Corporate Team of the Year Awards for the Ladbrokes deal. Innovative aspects of that transaction were also highly commended at the FT's Innovative Lawyer Awards 2018
- Rathbone Brothers Plc on several acquisitions including that of Taylor Young Investment Management's private client business and R M Walkden & Co
- wholesale specialist insurance broking firm, Miller Insurance Services LLP, on its sale of a majority interest in its partnership to the Willis Group
- leading rail freight provider, Freightliner Group, on its acquisition by Arcapita and its subsequent acquisition by Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
- Delta plc on its takeover by Valmont Inc.
- King Sturge on its merger with Jones Lang LaSalle.
Nick is also a contributing author of Bloomsbury’s Company Acquisition Handbook (10th edition).