James is an Associate in the Dubai litigation practice specialising in projects, construction, and engineering law.
James has acted for a number of major international construction companies, with both non-contentious and contentious experience throughout the GCC region. Prior to joining Addleshaw Goddard, he worked in house for a major regional contractor involved from conception and tendering through to completion and final account dispute resolution on projects throughout the GCC and wider Arab region.
As in house counsel, James was heavily involved in the negotiation and drafting of numerous main contracts, contract amendments and subcontracts which involved the leading of negotiations with employers and government bodies. James also has extensive experience of handling construction disputes through a wide variety of forums including litigation, arbitration, mediation and adjudication on issues such as construction and design defects, delay claims, final account disputes and termination. He has experience of disputes under the auspices of the ICC, DIAC and ADCCAC as well as ad-hoc arbitrations under the UNCITRAL Rules.
James returned to the GCC in 2009 , and has been based in Abu Dhabi, Doha and Dubai over the last 9 years. James holds a qualification in law, is a Member of the Law Society of England and Wales, a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and was admitted as a Solicitor of England and Wales in August 2012.
Specialist contentious experience includes:
- As in house counsel, advising a contractor on the contractual termination of a luxury residential development in Dubai, UAE valued at AED 550m, the contractual procedures to follow and the legal remedies that should be pursued
- Advising a multinational JV contractor on both upstream and downstream claims on an international airport project in Doha, Qatar
- As in house counsel, advising a subcontractor on the development of multiple claims against a contractor for the effective termination of a subcontract on a major residential project in Saudi Arabia valued at SAR5bn
- Advising a contractor (operating as a member of an international JV) on a subcontractor's claim which led to an arbitration on an airport expansion project in the UAE
- Advising a major international contractor on the development of an additional costs claim for a port project in Doha, Qatar
- As in house counsel, advising a contractor in a DIAC arbitration in relation to a subcontractor's claim for a major sporting facility in Dubai, UAE
- Advising an international contractor on the development of an EOT claim for a road expansion project valued at $45m in Doha, Qatar
- As in house counsel, advising a contractor in a DIAC arbitration in relation to a high rise, landmark building in Dubai, UAE
- Advising and acting for an international contractor on a DIAC arbitration relating to a public works project in Dubai, UAE
- Advising a contractor on an EOT and costs claim in relation to a AED 500m high rise residential tower in Dubai, UAE
- Advising a government body on a Contractor’s claims for a Town Centre and Road project and a Wadi Fortification project in Al Ain, UAE
- Advising and acting for an international contractor on a DIAC arbitration relating to a mixed use development in Dubai, UAE.
Specialist non-contentious experience includes:
- Advising a major regional contractor as in house counsel on a range of contracts at tender stage, including risk analysis, drafting of amendments and leading negotiations with employers and government bodies on:
- a AED 1.2bn tower development
- a landmark Expo 2020 development
- a AED 500m hotel development
- a 1000 residential villa development in Abu Dhabi, UAE
- a 1200 residential villa development in Dubai, UAE
- Drafting and negotiating of various bonds, joint venture agreements, pre-bid MOUs, consortium agreements, confidentiality agreements and settlement agreements on a range of projects and developments
- Advising a contractor on its subcontract form and content, and leading negotiations with key subcontractors on multiple landmark developments.
- University of Nottingham, UK, LL.B, Law, 2008
- BPP Law School, London, UK, Legal Practice Course, 2009
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Accelerated Membership Programme, 2011
- Year qualified, 2012
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- Society of Construction Law (Gulf)