Luke is a Managing Associate in our Dubai construction team where he has been permanently based for the past two years. Luke specialises in construction and engineering dispute resolution. He advises international clients from the rail, energy, oil & gas, infrastructure and retail and leisure sectors across the Middle East, Asia and Europe.
Luke has advised on a number of high value disputes for contractors, employers and consultants and is experienced in arbitration, litigation, mediation and adjudication.
In addition Luke gives pre-action advice to clients looking to form strategy and make tactical decisions. Luke has a strong grasp of delay related issues, having most recently advised a major engineering consultancy on matters spanning 95 separate milestones. Delays were related to MEP, structural and architectural disciplines for a major infrastructure project in the GCC. Luke is also experienced at advising on issues of termination, suspension, defects, variations and final accounts.
- Assisting one of the world's largest design and engineering consultants on a $165m variation and extension of time arbitration claim arising out of a major infrastructure project in Doha, Qatar. Issues have centred around contractual claims and their interpretation under Qatari law. Where necessary, working alongside local Qatari counsel to achieve the client's aims
- Advising an international contractor in respect of enforcement and nullification of an arbitral award and preventing the pay-out of performance bonds in the Abu Dhabi courts, for civil and MEP works carried out in Al Ain
- Acting for a GCC based JV in a $20m dispute regarding delays to utilities installations, and bridge and road construction in Oman
- Advising an MEP contractor in relation to a defects and delay claim at a mixed use development in the UAE
- Advising a global hotel chain in a dispute regarding a catastrophic failure of MEP design works at a London based hotel
- Recovery of AED 10m of unpaid sums for works carried out by a major regional contractor, in the UAE courts
- Acting for a contractor in a multi-million dollar series of linked disputes arising out of claims in respect of an energy from waste multi-fuel power plant. The claim was in respect of a large number of variations, the resulting extension of time and additional payment claims
- Advising an EPC Contractor in a claim against a Jordanian state entity in respect of the refusal to certify works as complete
- Advising a contractor in respect of claims arising from expansion projects at DXB Airport
- Advising a European multi-national energy company in a $160m breach of warranty claim in respect of a coal fired power station in the UK
- Professional Qualifications
Solicitor admitted in England and Wales