Andrew is the Head of Region in Addleshaw Goddard GCC. He is also a corporate partner and leads our cross-office regional corporate team. Andrew's expertise is primarily on cross-border M&A in the MENA region, with a particular specialism in private equity transactions, with a focus in the retail and consumer, healthcare and financial services sectors. He also specialises in advising both regional and international clients on joint ventures, restructurings and shareholder arrangements.
Andrew has been based in Dubai since 2007 and in that time has advised many of the region's leading corporates, private equity houses, family offices, sovereign wealth funds and other financial sponsors in relation to some of the highest profile and most innovative M&A transactions in the Middle East.
- Specialist experience
Andrew has advised his clients in relation to the following matters:
- an international private equity house in relation to the acquisition of a significant minority interest in a pan-GCC catering and food manufacturing business headquartered in Saudi Arabia
- a sovereign linked private equity house in relation to the disposal of its forty five percent interest in a UAE based entity operating in the industrial/manufacturing sector
- a regional private equity house in relation to its acquisition of a leading private equity manager investing in the Middle East, Asia and Africa
- a private equity consortium in relation to their potential investment in the Turkish renewable energy sector
- a Qatar based financial institution private equity division in relation to the potential acquisition of a majority interest in an oil and gas concession in Kenya
- an international private equity house together with another international private equity fund in relation to their consortium bid to acquire a Turkish automotive parts manufacturer
- a regional private equity house in relation to the potential acquisition of an Egyptian based dairy business
- an international private equity house in relation to the potential acquisition of a forty nine percent interest in an Egyptian group operating in the industrial sector
- a London based private equity house in relation to its £2.8 billion public to private offer to acquire a leading publishing house
- a private equity consortium in relation to the simultaneous acquisition of a minority interest in three Middle Eastern technology companies.
Private M&A/Joint Venture/Restructuring Work
- a luxury car manufacturer in relation to the Middle Eastern aspects of a multi-jurisdictional group restructuring involving the sale of the group's intellectual property to, and licence back from, a DIFC incorporated SPV
- a sovereign investor in relation to its joint venture with an international property management company
- a listed US multinational in relation to the simultaneous acquisition of a forty nine percent interest in two entities incorporated in the UAE and Kuwait respectively, each operating in the industrial gases sector
- a prominent Qatar based family group in relation to its proposed joint venture with a Japanese multinational
- a prominent European defence manufacturer in relation to its joint venture with a UAE government entity
- a Japanese steel manufacturer in relation to a proposed joint venture in the MENA region
- a prominent Qatar based trading group in relation to the restructuring of various non-core businesses
- a prominent Qatar based trading group in relation to its acquisition of an oil and gas service business
- a prominent Qatar based trading group in relation to its potential acquisition from private equity sellers of a majority interest in a Saudi headquartered IT solutions business
- a DIFC based investment bank in relation to a potential rights issue
- a listed Qatar based food importer in relation to its potential takeover and de-listing.
Commercial Advisory Work
- advising the Dubai Road and Transport Authority in relation to the auction of station naming rights
- advising Sovereign Wealth Fund in relation to corporate governance matters
- advising a leading regional distribution company in relation to its commercial activities.
"The Addleshaw Goddard corporate team has an impressive depth of regional experience and are well-trusted in relation to complex transactions."
One of his clients described him as "very good with clients in this region - we have a symbiotic relationship with him."