Michael covers a broad practice area including corporate mergers and acquisitions, real estate structuring and advisory, VAT and indirect taxes, restructuring, funds establishment, tax disputes and acquisition finance. He is a member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation and sits on its Property Taxes Sub-committee. He is also a member of the Stamp Tax Practitioners Group. Key clients include Aberdeen Standard Investments and Muse.
- advising Moneysupermarket on acquiring 28% stake in CYTI, a life and travel insurance comparator and long-term partner of Moneysupermarket
- advising institutional investor on £100m disposal of limited partner interest in retirement housing portfolio
- advising Aberdeen Standard Investments on the forward fund of a proposed 4 star hotel in Bristol City Centre
- advising LDC and management shareholders on the sale of Pacific Shelf 1809 (holding company of Seabrook Crisps) to UK subsidiary of Japanese snack company, Calbee Inc
- advising institutional investor on investment structure for development of £200m ground breaking biomass project
- "Group Relief: a Background", Tax Adviser, Dec 16 2013
- "Back to Basics: Tax on Capital Contributions", Tax Journal, Oct 11 2013
- "VAT and Student Accommodation", Oct 26 2011
- "DV3 RS LP: Clarification of Complication?" Apr 14 Tax Journal 2011
- Professional memberships
- The Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT)
- The property taxes sub-committee of CIOT
- The Stamp Taxes Practitioners' Group
Michael is described as "first-rate" in The Legal 500, where he is classed as a leading individual.