Michael covers a broad practice area including corporate mergers and acquisitions, real estate structuring and advisory, VAT and indirect taxes, restructuring, funds establishment, tax disputes and acquisition finance. He is a member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation and sits on its Property Taxes Sub-committee. He is also a member of the Stamp Tax Practitioners Group. Key clients include Aberdeen Standard Investments and Muse.
- Advising Muse on tax implications of mixed use affordable and private housing/commercial development project in conjunction with Poplar HARCA Housing Association;
- Advising Royal London Asset Management in connection with forward funded acquisitions of care home portfolio;
- Advising Aviva Life and Pensions UK Limited on structuring circa £500m GDV over-station development (at Liverpool Street and Moorgate) joint venture with Allianz; and
- Advising Federated Hermes' Hestia Sub-fund on structuring of forward-funded build to rent developments with a combined value of over £400m.
- "Group Relief: a Background", Tax Adviser, Dec 16 2013
- "Back to Basics: Tax on Capital Contributions", Tax Journal, Oct 11 2013
- "VAT and Student Accommodation", Oct 26 2011
- "DV3 RS LP: Clarification of Complication?" Apr 14 Tax Journal 2011
- Professional memberships
- The Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT)
- The property taxes sub-committee of CIOT
- The Stamp Taxes Practitioners' Group
Michael is described as "first-rate" in The Legal 500, where he is classed as a leading individual.